When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post War Elgin?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Demzie

Wore out three sets of tires already!
As I understood, Elgin badges were used until 1947. I even had one I bought that was sold as Post War [see photo A] as example:

f5666d1c289ecf29cea7ffae722dbe50.jpg

Info? This has been had and sold for some years now, this is the only photo I have to go off

Very interesting. I never knew that there were post-war Elgins. The JC Higgins name came into use in 1947, as I understand. It makes sense that Sears would have started production of new bikes up after the War, perhaps in late 1945 or 1946? Purely speculation on my part. The experts here will be able to shed more light on this.

Edit: Here is a post-war Elgin that was listed for sale last year. The drop-outs are still rear facing, but no axle adjusters. You learn something new every day.

Second thread has a detailed discussion on the changes in the post-war Elgin/Higgins bikes

Last edited:
@DrRumack80
Ive only ever seen one other like the one I posted. Same exact frame and model and paint scheme but more sunbaked with a later model multispeed seat. I was surprised to find it had a Higgins wheel on it and I'll try to source it again if I'm able.

These examples are pretty evident in their defense of being post war. Cleveland is known for having rear facing dropouts post war so I don't suspect it's unreasonable for Murray/Higgins/Sears to have done the same?

Albeit less common but not necessarily "valuable" due to it.

Back