When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1919 Flying Merkel Original Paint Stunner !

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nice bike.
Maybe Miami did the sweetheart sprockets that way, before (or after) they didn’t?
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/sweetheart-sprocket-colson-or.84728/ (not Colson).

Last edited:
@New Mexico Brant
Like I was saying on FB, I haven’t seen a Miami sweetheart chainring with the drive pin hole in this location. Is the drive pin spacing on the crank the same?
Thank you for your kind words on Facebook Kalin. I am confused what exactly are you asking in your question. If you are asking if the crank's pin goes into the ring's hole then yes. I can post a detail image tomorrow.

And Phil @Archie Sturmer is correct in his statement above; this ring comes after, or maybe concurrently, with the ring with the crank that bisects the heart. The other type heart ring clearly shows up on multiple bicycles in the 1918 Miami catalog that sold at Copake.

Honestly I did pay much attention to the ring because it has been seen before on Miami's but hasn't been widely discussed. Beyond Dave's ring (mentioned above) I believe somewhere in a Memory Lane or Ann Arbor picture thread there is a Miami with this ring that previously was owned by Neil Bailey.

Maybe @hoofhearted , @SKPC , @Freqman1 , or @fordsnake could answer your question better.

Last edited:
Brant, I would NOT bet against that being a Miami-made ring. Even though the pin location is not the typical Miami location for their sweetheart rings, the cutouts on yours ARE Miami looking. If you ever take the crankset out of the frame, plz measure the two hole diameters and the spacing between for us. It would be very informative. Miami has a huge variety of arms and rings so would not surprise me if it came on the bike. @hoofhearted @Freqman1 ...I would also like to know how you guys feel about this ring....

Brant, I would NOT bet against that being a Miami-made ring. Even though the pin location is not the typical Miami location for their sweetheart rings, the cutouts on yours ARE Miami looking. If you ever take the crankset out of the frame, plz measure the two hole diameters and the spacing between for us. It would be very informative. Miami has a huge variety of arms and rings so would not surprise me if it came on the bike. @hoofhearted @Freqman1 ...I would also like to know how you guys feel about this ring....
Sorry but I will never be taking it apart Pete, that caked grease looks so nice; I already feel I cleaned the crank arm too much. Here are some images:

IMG_5623.jpeg

IMG_5622.jpeg

IMG_5624.jpeg

IMG_5621.jpeg

Last edited:
Back