When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh no! Sears Chief Parted Out (!) on the bay

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
First of all;

The challenge is not to resolve the issue, which is impossible, but to find a way to accept what is; which will probably only mean learning to live in the hobby under the barrage of all the lengthy diatribes on this subject.

That is true- what usually happens is people offend/get offended/etc. It's not often people have their minds changed one way or the other by diatribes.

This hot-button topic and the consequences, real or imagined, pale in comparison to many issues that are literally life and death issues but the mechanism that brings them to the surface is the same and very much a part of being human and meaningfully belonging in a society.

We're actually supposed to try to be aware of the role we as individuals play with regard to cause and effect? Indeed!

There's no line, no list somewhere, but there are bikes that you part and ones you don't. let's see if we can get a feel for this. of course these are my feelings and are not binding upon anyone, but this may help.

1965 Schwinn middleweight in 7 condition...part it our if you like, they made so many that there are still tons more in 9-10 condition that can be found.
1937 Roadmaster Supreme in 4 condition...this one you can't part out, there simply aren't enough of them out there in original paint in any condition.
Teens Sears Cheif in any condition...there are only a very few of these out there. as I understand it, maybe fewer than half a dozen.

I understand that some of the parts are common to other bikes, but this one has the parts that destinguish it from other Davis bikes and though you could simply buy those parts for another Davis bike, somehow it seems a shame to part out an original to make some sort of morphodyte cobbled together bike when as you readily admit you're not making a killing on the parts, and it could have been sold whole for around the same money, and kept together. I'm not against parting out some bikes, let's just not part out the ones that shouldn't be parted out, that's all I'm getting at. some pretty simple common sense could be used in most cases. if there are only a few of the bike you have, please keep it together, if there are millions go ahead. if it's in between, weigh it out and ask yourself, "which would be better, parting this out, or keeping it whole?" "how many are out there and how nice is the one you have?" "are you parting one of the nicest originals of what you have?" "could you sell yours to someone trying to gather parts for one and let him or her part out the one they have been struggling to gather parts for that's basically pieced together junk?"

this kind of thing never makes sense to me! some time ago someone parted out a freshly and correctly restored 1936-37 Hawthorne Zep. I watched as people gobbled up the pieces they needeed for their cobbled together junk, and no one thought "why don't I just buy everything, and then sell my pieces. would have saved them a bunch of money and time. instead they now have a perfectly restored rack, or tank that they are just going to have repainted when they paint their bike. it doesn't make sense.

people that dont want bikes parted out

should put their money where their mouth is. BUY the bike at the parts price- Most people do not add for a bike that is mostly complete- they want a discount because they are buying a parts lot instead of individual parts. Simple economics seem to cause the owners choice in selling- most money wins. To bitch about it being parted and not willing to buy at parts price is just a lot of hot air. My 2c.

I wonder if I might veer the discussion away from the main issue for a moment to the Chief head badge. I've never seen one of these beauties in person and notice that the badge being sold by lipstick.wrenches retains what appears to be original paint, while the badge being offered by bicyclebones, formerly owned by Jerry Berg, is without paint. Does anyone know which, or perhaps both? would be correct in original condition?
Just wondering - thanks.

Teens Sears Cheif in any condition...there are only a very few of these out there. as I understand it, maybe fewer than half a dozen.

This is the 3rd different 1917-1919 Chief just this year, that I have seen come up for sale. Probably a coincidence ??? Although, I've been watching for them purposely.

There are some good pics and info on the Chief in your catalog challenge thread that I posted, I also have 1919 available if any Cabe member is looking for some data.
I can email high res to anyone interested, just PM your address.

Head-badge clip is from 1917

Back