When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

̶L̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶t̶ Purchased 1980's Bianchi Special this morning

-

Allrounderco

I live for the CABE
Edit / Update: I did purchase the bike.

It's been tough finding an early road / touring bike in my frame size, let alone something I think I want to ride. So this came up last night, and I'm going to look at it in an hour or so. Not much time for feedback, I get it, but basically if the bike fits me (it's within range, but I figure I'll probably end up putting on a shorter stem), I'll take a chance on it. So fire away with thoughts:

198(4?) Bianchi Special, 21" Suntour derailleur. It's local, so I didn't ask too many questions off the bat.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/d/torrington-bianchi-special-road-bike/6966183942.html

1566996899712.png

Last edited:
My wife's everyday rider is a 1986 Bianchi Ocelot (Shimano pieces). We added a taller stem for a more upright riding position. Has been a steady, issue-free bike for all these years.

That's pretty nice for the Money. Ishiwata 022 is nice steel. I'd buy that even if it didn't fit me and sell it for double.

Thanks for the input, folks. I in fact did buy it. This is one of those instances where the item was under represented. The bike was actually a trade in at a local shop (Biker's Edge 2 in Torrington, CT), and owned by the shop. The person I spoke with on the phone was a friend who listed it for the shop. He'd seen it in the "I'll get to it" pile, asked, took photos, and put on CL last night. He phoned the owner after speaking with me, and by the time I got there, it sported pedals, a new tube in front tire, and a general once over. I was actually able to ride it, and it rides great. I'll add pictures shortly. Cosmetically, the paint, aluminum, and fasteners are near perfect. Only the decals show wear (probably from rack straps). Bike has very little mileage on it. Original tires and brake pads look practically unused. Even the funky suede saddle seems better in person. This is one I'm not going to need to do much with. New brake hoods, and maybe some proper clip pedals. And tires if and when needed. I happily paid full price, since I was able to test ride it. Going to head out on it in a bit, in fact...

And now for the photos. I want to be clear that I did absolutely nothing to the bike, not even a wipe down. This is exactly as it came to me, except that the top of the LH brake hood flew off while en-route. I think it rides as good as it looks, although it's drizzling, so I didn't venture far from home.

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

-----

The 1984 date places the bicycle fairly early within the realm of Japanese contructed Bianchis. It is well within the Piaggio period - hence the Piaggio transfer.

There was more than one vendor for the Japan made Bianchis IIRC. Another reader is sure to know the name of the specific producer for this example... ;)

Looks like it will clean up very nicely for you. :D

-----

-----

The 1984 date places the bicycle fairly early within the realm of Japanese contructed Bianchis. It is well within the Piaggio period - hence the Piaggio transfer.

There was more than one vendor for the Japan made Bianchis IIRC. Another reader is sure to know the name of the specific producer for this example... ;)

Looks like it will clean up very nicely for you. :D

-----

Thanks for your comment. I always appreciate your input on other lightweight threads. The 1984 date was a complete guess on my part. I did some more online searching last night, and am not any closer to dating it. The only catalog which shows a model named "Special" is 1982, and that's a different decal set, and slightly different spec components. So I guess this model was produced after '82, but didn't appear in any catalog I can find, and I checked them all up until about '87 or so. My guess is that Bianchi may have produced catalogs for the sportiest models, and a different one for the more pedestrian bikes - and I just haven't run across the right catalog yet. That said, I did have another '80s Japanese Bianchi in my teens, (Strada maybe?), and this bike is on a distinctly higher level. The 1982 Catalog seems to position it in the middle of the lineup.

I hate to do it, but if I'm going to figure this bike out, I may have to join another forum. Which is ironic, as my main objective in purchasing an '80s road bike was to spare the time and expense of modifying one of my electro-forged Schwinn lightweights to be more practical - and never possibly achieving what I could with an off the shelf newer bike. I didn't plan to want to dig deep. But something about a lugged frame, fluted seat post, and monogrammed fork crown will do that to a person :)

I've come closer to identifying the bike's year. Perhaps better than using the catalog, as I already know it's an '83 or '84 from the decal style, and if there is no variation in equipment or color between the two years, it won't help. I went hunting for date codes on components, and here's what I uncovered:

• Stem is 83F / June of '83
  • Crank arms are also 83F / June of '83
  • both brake levers July of '83
  • Front caliper is December of '81
  • Rear caliper is January of '83
  • Seat is June of '83
  • Both hubs (Suzue) have a 3 followed by a B. Could be nothing, or might be Feb '83?
  • I also took pics of the tire date codes, but I don't know how to decipher them.
So in summation, there are no parts identified as post July '83. The bike is an '83 or '84 based on my previous research, but I think the parts dating tends to skew towards 1983. Unless someone has more insight, that's what I'm going with.

Last edited:
Back