When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.105 Spokes in a .120 New Departure Hub?

-

Henryford2

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can you "safely" use .105 spokes in a New Departure Model D hub that was meant to have .120 spokes? Thanks

Not ideal, but do-able. You will have movement at the j-bend which is not ideal. Is this for a motorbike? If so if I’d use the correct spokes. I may have .120 spokes if you need them, if not I can order them. I have a few .105 hubs but not ready to let them go just yet.

I thought as much. I bought the hub from a CABE member and real happy with it. I assumed it was for .105 spokes until I pulled it apart and measured the spokes holes at approx. 0.144", so I'm assuming they are for the .120 spokes. It's going on a Whizzer powered Monark and I'm a pretty big guy so I'm OK with the bigger .120 spokes. I will need some of the .120 spokes and nipples, not stainless. I saw that the Worksman bike uses the heavier 0.120" spokes but they are 10 9/16" in length rather than 10 5/8". I can't believe the 1/16" less will make a difference? Thanks

monark whizzer 2.jpg

monark whizzer.jpg

I’ll try to get to my spokes this weekend. I just bought a house and all my stuff is boxed. I’m pretty sure I have some non stainless .120’s

I'm in no hurry, this is a winter project. Does the 0.144" hole sound right for a 0.120" spoke? Thanks

Or do you think this hub was meant to use a single butted spoke? What should the clearance be between the spoke and hub hole?

I may be wrong but if you use double butted .105 spokes they are .120 where the spoke rest in the hub. And regular .105 straight spokes are the same diameter clear up the hub. All of my whizzer bikes have stock .105 double butted spokes, and the fatter part is the same as the .120 spokes (if I remember right.)

Yes, I finally figured out that if the wheel was laced with double butted .105" spokes that nothing needs to be done to use the 120" spokes since the holes in the hub and wheel are larger to accommodate the larger butted ends. How involved are you with Whizzers?

I am 38 and I have built one fully original whizzer, and I have 4 others that are in pieces, so not super involved. I am trying to build one for each family member, so we can all go on a cruise.

Back