When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1890's Men's & Women's Bicycles- What are these?

-

The Carolina Rambler

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello everybody. First I would like to introduce myself. I live here in Western North Carolina, and I have just now joined this site, but have used it for reference information for years now, and I am very pleased to get to know y'all and to join.
A big reason I have joined is because I have a couple of old bicycles that I would like to get to work on soon and fully restore, but I would really like to know perhaps what maker they are from. These would be super fun to have fixed up like new, and go riding around town on {the men's especially, given that I am a fellow}. They are originally from Western South Carolina, and appear to have been built in the mid to late 1890s. My biggest set back is that they are missing the badges, and I would hope to some day possibly find replacements, just to really make it a 100% complete, finished work. I can't really start that process though unless I know what brand they might be. I think these are of a bit more obscure company, but I am by no means an expert at all, I'm just a young fellow who likes these old bikes and rides them around and about, works on them. I have seen only one other photograph of a bicycle with braze joints resembling those found on these two. That is probably the most distinct feature on these that sets them apart from some other bicycles encountered from this era. Seats padded with horse hair, cork grips, 28 inch wood rims, and the men's has an early Corbin/New Departure Hub. Any information or possible identification is greatly appreciated. To see the full story about these two bikes, go to this link:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/st...ns-and-womens-bicycles-what-a?in=377-activity

I have a lot more information about them there, and some of my other bikes I have. Thank you for reading and for your help, and have a nice evening!

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

I think gtdohn nailed it..!!! My first guess on the men’s bike was Crescent as well. I might have a catalogue picture of the bike too. I’ll check.

This is the closest pic I have for your bike which I've shown here before on another Crescent.

Lugs are the same, as is the fork crown and possibly the seat cluster. Bike is 1896. You chainring is different so maybe your bike is '97 or '98

IMG_1229.jpg

Thank you all so much for your information and input about these bicycles. I think it is absolutely remarkable how much yall know about these. I hope to get going on them before too long, and once they're finished, I will be sure to share some photographs. All polished up, nice and black again with some gold pinstripes and decorations like when they were new; I might even get someone to take a photo of them in action being ridden! Thank you all again very much, and have a nice evening!

Back