When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960-to 1996 Schwinn 10 to 15 speed lightweight bikes.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nothing stacked up against the Euro bikes. All you had to do was pick up a Schwinn 10/12 spd with one hand and then a good Euro bike from the same vintage. That isn't to say the Schwinn's weren't beautiful, they were. But why pedal with more weight if you don't have to?

Kevin
Of course there were better & lighter bikes being made at the same time, but when you make comparisons like these you should do so at a similar price points.
How much did those high zoot Euro bikes cost?

Schwinn needed a popularly priced lightweight line of bicycles to compete with the Asian brands being sold on Schwinn Dealership sales floors. The Peugeot and Motobecane European brands were not the heavy hitters. Ben Lawee the U.S. Motobecane distributor recognized, this and developed his own Asian built brand under the Univega brand. The European brands were priced right, and light in weight but never came close to the fit and finish of the top Asian built bikes. The fact that the European bikes mostly came with French or Italian threading parts groups and unique parts sizing did not help their sales in the U.S. market.

Schwinn Bicycle Company was slow to react to the changing lightweight market. What they needed was a light in weight, Varsity/Continental "priced models". It needed to be built in the U.S.A. to help with production lead times to fill dealer orders. It was cost effective to air freight small parts like derailers, hubs, chains, etc. It took several years of research, factory build up, and employee training for bicycles to start flowing out the door. Greenville, MS. was the choice for the new Schwinn factory. I never visited that Schwinn factory in person, but my coworker and later a business partner, Dave Staub (SSW GM) did visit the factory on several occasions. Mississippi was a "right to work" state and that was a big reason in Schwinn's choice of location after suffering the UAW Chicago strike. The factory was isolated, and difficult to efficiently ship goods in and out of due to location. It had a limited work force, which would later become an Achillies heel.

The Greenville factory was tasked with building only two different product styles. Yes, they built many different model names, but they all fell into one of two production groups. They built steel framed "investment cast" lug models or welded "aluminum models". The aluminum models (the three-digit number models) were built from 7000 series aluminum tubing. The focus of this series was to give dealers something they could sell "head-to-head" with Trek and Cannondale models. Schwinn's engineering made the choice to use the 7000 series tubing because they determined that the frames needed to be stress relived (heat treated) after they were welded together. The quality of the stress relieving was not consistent, and it caused the top and down tubes on some bikes to distort/bow/warp. It was a cosmetic problem, not a structural problem, but a serious issue.

Investment casting that previously had only been used in "pro level" priced frames was developed to bring the price down into the high production lower priced frames. It was a large improvement in lowering the price point of this lugged frame technology. IMO, the Greenville factory would never have been built without this new at the time investment casting technology. The bottom bracket shell, the seat tube cluster, and a "uni-head" were all cast parts. The two head lugs and the head tube are only "cast one steel part" not three parts. They were so smooth they did not require any hand touch up. The frame tubes had small indentions under the lug joint that held a small low melting temperature pellet of brazing material. The frames were set up in a fixture and heated to melt the pellet. The advantage was almost no employee hand work in brazing the frames were required. This new frame building method proved very efficient at producing new lugged frames at a lower labor cost.

Even with the latest automated production wheel building equipment, you still need to have skilled employees that understand the process, and how to adjust the machinery. IMO, Schwinn never figured out how to build lightweight quality wheels in Greenville, MS. Nobody from the Chicago factory wanted to move to Greenville. Dealers had to pull the wheels and tires off of a new uncrated bikes, and bench true each wheel to make sure it was properly tensioned, true, and hub centered. Every time I talked to any Schwinn employee that had just came back, they always mentioned the same thing, about the brown muddy shower water at the local hotel. Rudy Schwinn spent a lot of his time getting the new factories in Budapest (Cespel) and Greenville, MS. up and running, but he needed more help and support.

Let's talk about the Schwinn Paramount line at another time. Paramount's have been raced all over the world for the past 80 to 90 years. Please do not confuse multi million dollar sponsorships and paid professional riders with the quality of a product. Not many riders race on steel frames anymore so it's understandable why you do not see Paramount's being widely raced today at the pro levels.

Thank you for your interest in Schwinn's lightweight models
John
Well first of all, when I said Euro bikes, I was including English Raleighs. Also, I was talking about racing from the late '60s to the mid '80's because after that, frames went to Kelvlar/carbon fiber, etc and smaller custom bike frame makers were springing up everywhere. To me, the golden yrs of bike racing sponsored by large bike manufacturers dedicated to making custom bikes were from the above yrs.

I only mentioned Peugeot in passing, as my real interest was/is in professional Raleigh bikes....specifically the SBDU bikes. If you look at the bikes used and winning most of the Euro/world races in the yrs I mentioned, Raleigh completely dominated and most racers wanted at least Raleigh frames made to fit their bodies. I've never seen Schwinn anything mentioned in any of the lore from those days. What happened after the mid-80s in bike racing I don't really care about unless a bike from that vintage dropped into my lap......cheap.

Great info on methods and materials used in the Greenville factory, thanks.

Kevin

Last edited:
Of course there were better & lighter bikes being made at the same time, but when you make comparisons like these you should do so at a similar price points.
How much did those high zoot Euro bikes cost?
Well, Raleigh had a good line of reasonably priced 'racing bikes' up to the International. After that, yes, their pro racing bikes got pricey, but not more than Paramounts. I can tell you that at most college bike shops across the country from the late '60s to the mid-'80s, they were selling English/Euro bikes to teens and young adults. They had to be conscious of pricing or they wouldn't have sold anything.

At those college bike shops, I never saw a Schwinn offered as a 'racing bike'. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the snobbery of a college bike shop and with weight....all you had to do was pick up one or the other.

I would love to afford an SBDU bike that fit me, but that ship has sailed. In its place, I have a really nice bone stock Competition GS to restore. Very few SBDU surviving bikes weren't raced hard, so you have to consider the stress on their frames/cranks from world-level racing. That's a little off-putting when you're paying that much for an original example from that period.

Kevin

Last edited:
When I was a kid we all wanted the Wholey grail "10speed"..I finally acquired one a beautiful 'Sekine" from my Neighbour. Problem is these bikes where not made for the abuse we put them through, frames where fragile, the gears were finicky and usually only ended up with a couple working gears...and we all turned the handlebars up so you could ride in an upward position., then the mountain bike came out and addressed all these issues.

I guess that I have a bit different focus than member @Real1.
I've never been a racer, so I was never looking for a real racing bike. My focus has been on a "sport touring" bike with as good a ride as possible at a price that was affordable to me.
My only Raleigh is a '62 Blue Streak, so once again, I can't speak to how other Raleigh models ride in comparison. That said, I was very surprised at how well the Blue Streak rides for having a frame made only of high-tensile steel.
I will have to say though that I have an early seventies Gitane Tour de France that has a ride at least equal to any of my several Paramounts. Back then it probably cost half of what a Paramount did. I also have a same vintage Peugeot PX-10 and Mercier 300. I would say the ride on all three of these bikes is very similar. On the same French path I also have a Motobecane Grand Record that I built up as a single speed with a flip-flop hub, fixed on one side, free on the other. I don't like single speeds. I'm old and not strong enough to ride them in rolling terrain. I plan to return it to a wide range 10 speed at some point.

When I was a kid we all wanted the Wholey grail "10speed"..I finally acquired one a beautiful 'Sekine" from my Neighbour. Problem is these bikes where not made for the abuse we put them through, frames where fragile, the gears were finicky and usually only ended up with a couple working gears...and we all turned the handlebars up so you could ride in an upward position., then the mountain bike came out and addressed all these issues.
That's true to some degree. The better 10spds were often finicky and certainly not made to be thrashed off-road or on anything but smoother pavement. But in those days it was all about weight and smooth gear-shifting with lightening tight frame response.

Kevin

That Sierra Brown ST is gorgeous 😍
Thanks! The frame and forks are available for sale/trade!
20220203_113416_copy_1008x637.jpg

Back