When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

22 to 35 lbs? Who?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have said many times that John's tires have made the ballooners WAY more pleasant to ride. Higher pressure ( 40-45lbs like Sean says) with little to no concern about a blowout. VERY affordable when compared to other repros. Of course a quality tube is important. I actually find a vintage tube in great shape is thicker and a better fit that any of the imports.

As Taco Chris said, 22 lbs is like riding in mud. If that's the goal, so be it. I have original tires on some of my display bikes, but most have John's chains for look and they seem to hold air longer after sitting for months with weight on them.

On a rider or two with vintage tires, I do have lower pressure ( 22-25) as the rubber is older and lets face it, are more prone to breaking down. That said, I have 70 year old tires that are in better more pliable shape than Chinese imports that are only a few years old. I just put some out of the wrapper Goodyear G-3 Airwheels on my 1940 Dayton. Like brand new, as are my Schwinn Typhoons on my junior Hornet, etc.

2021-09-18 08.18.51.jpg

2021-09-18 08.18.54.jpg

2021-09-18 08.18.58.jpg

2021-09-18 08.19.10.jpg

2021-09-18 08.19.14.jpg

20170417_173312.jpg

IMG_1172.JPG

I second the 22-25psi notion for original tires that I can't easily source and for initial test rides. If they survive the test rides @240# of me on them, the cracks aren't widening and there's no bulges I'll go 30-35ish, whatever holds.

Does anyone have a link or contact for getting a hold of some of John's tires? I've only picked them up second hand it seems.

I second the 22-25psi notion for original tires that I can't easily source and for initial test rides. If they survive the test rides @240# of me on them, the cracks aren't widening and there's no bulges I'll go 30-35ish, whatever holds.

Does anyone have a link or contact for getting a hold of some of John's tires? I've only picked them up second hand it seems.
@John

I can't seem to run any of the tires I have at less than 30psi jus'cause they feel flat with me @ 160 lbs. It's like trying to drag dead weight or being caked in red clay mud trying to run.

If you use Goodyear tubes they seem to be pretty thick compared to some & Walmart tended to have them 20-26" sometimes singles doubles & 4s.

If your OG vintage tires won't take 30+ psi maybe you shouldn't be 160+ lbs putting your ass on them even for a test ride❗
Hell I say this 'cause most of the middle weight to light weight tires I have seen take at least that.
I don't trust the 45+ psi ratings🤦🏻‍♂️ damn sure wouldn't at 200+ lbs let alone some @ 65 psi on 1.5-1.75" rims.
Now a wider rim 2" or more with HD tubes I would more likely attempt a higher pressure of 45 psi but there's a fine line of harsh, rolling resistance/the way the tire profiles etc

I can't seem to run any of the tires I have at less than 30psi jus'cause they feel flat with me @ 160 lbs. It's like trying to drag dead weight or being caked in red clay mud trying to run.

If you use Goodyear tubes they seem to be pretty thick compared to some & Walmart tended to have them 20-26" sometimes singles doubles & 4s.

If your OG vintage tires won't take 30+ psi maybe you shouldn't be 160+ lbs putting your ass on them even for a test ride❗
Hell I say this 'cause most of the middle weight to light weight tires I have seen take at least that.
I don't trust the 45+ psi ratings🤦🏻‍♂️ damn sure wouldn't at 200+ lbs let alone some @ 65 psi on 1.5-1.75" rims.
Now a wider rim 2" or more with HD tubes I would more likely attempt a higher pressure of 45 psi but there's a fine line of harsh, rolling resistance/the way the tire profiles etc
Aww come on now, they don't call em FAT tire bikes for nothing!
I know whose bike I'm gonna test ride if I ever find you at a swap meet...

P.S. Y'all need to have more faith in your Nylon Cords.

To be frank, Ive been doing this for so dang long I dont check tire pressure, I go off of tire feel with my hand. Ive gotten so used to what it should be that I can tell pretty quickly where it is. Im 220lbs so anything "smooshy" bogs me down so bad its a chore to pedal so i go higher pressure myself so I dont feel like Im pedaling in mud.
Yup me too, been filling up my tires to where it feels right. All depending on the conditions of the road or how I feel on any given day. Sometimes cruising, I might air them soft others, good and hard and that's both, road bikes with higher pressure and ballooners; Never had any problems since I was a kid. [I think I did blow one as a kid but, once is all it took.]

That is, not until I had a like new set of Schwinn Typhoon cord from a 1998 ballooner. IDK but about 3-4 days later, sitting in my garage with all my other bikes, one just popped. It blew right through the cheap a. cord and ripped the tread rubber about 1-1/2 inch across, complete trash. I'd trust a Kenda before a modern Schwinn tire now. Hell, the cord on the Schwinn looks like waxed paper or cardboard too.
Disclaimer: Although my garage is completely drywalled, it can get awfully hot in there. That's the only reason I guess it could have popped. Albeit, never had one but that, blow on me, in the many years I've lived here. I been a little careful, especially because, I know what the cord is like on Cheap a. modern Schwinn tires since.

Last edited:
Back