When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

39 Mead rear steer tandem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jd56

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Was asked if I had interest in this Mead 1939 rear steer tandem...but know nothing about them.

Was told that the wheel sets were replaced with added multispeed Shimano hub and brakes.

He called it a "wedding" tandem.
I thought he said it was a Mead badged Colson....sound right?

Any value in this tandem and if so what is needed to get it back to close to original?
Not much room in my storage for this oversized bike and would be a chore to transport but, it looks cool and might be a hoot to ride.

Thanks in advance
JD
1939 Rear Steer Wedding Tandem.jpg

Hi JD,
Its hard to see the bike in this picture. My first concern is about the rear triangles of the frame which now has a wider rear hub. I would pull the rear wheel out and check the alignment of the triangles and see if the drop outs are still parallel as well as how far they are apart without the hub in it. If you don't have a frame alignment gauge, you can use a string.
Chris

from what I've seen, that is one of the nicer looking (frame wise) tandems. it really flows....

Still no value?
Or maybe so.
Not mine and have no idea what a fair offer would he if I wanted it to be mine.
Obviously condition condition condition is the key to value. And if altering the triangles has been done then there is no real value to the tandem collector, I'm guessing.
Wouldn't these have need balloon tired bikes?

Hi JD,
When I first read your post, I thought that you had already bought the tandem. I really like tandems and feel that they should be worth 150% what a regular Colson in the same condition is worth. Usually when people put wider hubs in the back end of bikes, they just flex the frame and force the hub to fit which can lead to problems. The frame is probably not badly damaged, but is worth inspecting. If it is damaged it can be repaired.
Chris

JD...Tandems

Hi John,
I sold just the Rear Steer Colson frame on Ebay a couple of years ago for $360.00, maybe a CABE member bought it.
These frames had nice flowing lines for a tandem.
The only tandem I keep in my collection is a mint condition 1972 Schwinn Deluxe Twinn 5 speed tandem.
They aren't worth a whole lot, but you can actually ride them, they came with rear drums brakes also...............Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_1190.JPG
    IMG_1190.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_8689.JPG
    IMG_8689.JPG