When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

50’s flame decals

-

Josie 2 Shrimps

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Anyone have information about about flame decals seen on some phantoms from time to time. I have these on a phantom light cover. I’ve also seen them on a phantom fender and also a tank. Anyone else have or seen these?
e687473c4c7f75629a677b58a36510cc.jpg
f2472c78c59110e1447f7b3930eff224.jpg

1d9ffc0a7696c4f22ef56d30fe419c87.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have heard these may have come from factory to schwinn dealer as some promotion or in a special order. I have no idea if that is true or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I recently had a '57 Schwinn Hornet that had those same decals applied to the top tube. I presume they're some kind of water transfer decal, likely out of a car model kit? A pretty neat period touch!

Probably just a kid with a sticker. But I’ve seen enough to make me wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up in the 50's and 60's and water slide decals were everywhere like the vinyl stickers today. TG&Y was the neighborhood dime store and they had a little bit of everything. They had a pretty good section on the wall with a peg board full of packaged decals, from small ones like those flames to large ones used on furniture or other big projects. Websters Hobby House was 10 or so doors down the street and next door to Pat's Schwinn shop. Websters had lots of packaged water slide decals including generic flames. In the mid 70's I built my Daughter a rocking cradle and my Son a huge toy box and they were painted and then dressed up with cool water slides from TG&Y. Even today you can get some generic flame water slides at Michaels art and hobby store.
I bet every local five and dime across the country had those generic flame decals back in the day, so it doesn't surprise me to see the identical ones planted on these old bikes.

Back