When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

53 schwinn traveler

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If Melas was an established make, Union could have continued the name even after the purchase. Maybe before they introduced the Union brand lights? I read an article somewhere that it took Union several years after the war before they got back to full production.

Looks to be 1950s. Found a past auction and it stated it was "1950." Cool light kit! Found another listing for one in not so great condition. Same tail light.

1_bba0b9f7de11f340827fb7dae0d5ced2.jpg

1_bba0b9f7de11f340827fb7dae0d5ced2-1.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 3.21.46 PM.png

If Melas was an established make, Union could have continued the name even after the purchase. Maybe before they introduced the Union brand lights? I read an article somewhere that it took Union several years after the war before they got back to full production.
Just interesting I have never seen this once on a Traveler and I have seen hundreds of examples. Those side red bands, assuming they light up from the hole you can kind of see through on the red material, is unique to these types of lights you usually find on Travelers. Cool find.

The light does shine through a bit, local slow roll ride tested. Got the full 30 lumens going on.

Didn't know that about the brake pads, thanks.
They were positioned as in the picture, with words down and openings at the rear.
All I've ever used are ones that are crimped over on all four sides. The ones on the bike now are 60s john bull no.25, rear are 70s shimano. They're the only black ones I had available at the time.

Yea, I had figured the light was added later. They had mentioned it stopped working, guess it was probaly when the rear light got damaged.

I had just picked up a crusty 63 this summer, except the stainless fenders. So that's where I just started reading up on them. Unfortunately there's no room for 63 anymore, except the fenders.

Hadn't noticed the wear down on the hub, good catch. Yea I didn't clean that hub either, the bike was quite clean when listed. Except the chrome.

Was lucky to have had picked up a pair of "city or mustasche bars" at the last bg swap. Only bought them because they were different from north road bars. Couldnt believe they matched the same straight back angle of the original set.

Last edited:
Yes, that is the same light kit, except the rear. The second picture is the same light kit. The rear in the first set is more similar to a miller 53r. The melas ltik049 rear has a smaller bulb holder that comes in from the wheel side. I tried swapping one in from a miller one. The hole is about an 1/8th too small.

Adding in, the first tail light looks more like the ptr-023 or 29 prewar model.

Last edited:
found an ebay ad with a company history of Melas. I copied the text for after the link expires. I couldn't find the ad on the app, just from a search engine and a web page.

"MELAS logo (around 1949)The pre-WWII logo was still in use in the late 1940s.
  • until approx. 1946 metaloil factory Alfred Sblack
  • 1947 "Melas" LEB electric vehicle accessories vorm. Metallwerk A. Schwarz, Eisenach/Thür.
The was founded Metal goods factory Alfred Schwarz in Eisenach in 1907 and the product range already included all parts of bicycle lighting in various designs before the Second World War. 1937 became MELAS taken over by the company Union. After 1945 the company was put under Soviet management, transferred to state ownership and in 1947 at the latest in VEB electric vehicle accessories renamed. The variety of products was greatly reduced, so that only one headlight, taillight and dynamo model was produced. Despite the expropriation and renaming of the company, the manufactured products were still named until about 1950 MELAS Mistake. Melas lighting components were also produced in the Federal Republic of Germany until at least 1958, the manufacturer was Union Fröndenberg. In 1947 the company was finally transferred to public ownership, underwent another name change and from then on traded as VEB car and bicycle electrics"
i seem to have found where he originally got this info from.
The Melas brand seems to have become Rebo lighting and electronics Gmbh in current times. So possibly Union didn't get the lights, only the pedal reflector biz in the 37 purchase. The rebo link explains alot more than the snippet above.

Last edited:
Nice looking bike , thanks for posting. I wouldn't doubt the setup is original, I was just referring to mine as matching up to the one particular advertisement.

Have seen others for 53 with the superior fenders and different lights. There are atleast 3 different generator lights shown, plus there was also the dynohub option. Attaching those adverts. Am not indicating one light is more correct than another, just that the one I got with the bike happened to match the look of the one ad. If ya check out the second ad it also features the quadrant shifter, so the image is obviously recycled from before the traveler model.

Haven't heard of Lohman before, much like Melas. I suppose there were quite a few companies at first. I like rear on the fender light, been considering the modern alternate.

It seems my melas rear light version is very common on ebay de, but not so much on the ebay here.

Have also found that Reynolds made a similar alloy handlebar called the "north road, flat" Btw.

1953_schwinn_traveler_boys.jpg

s-l1200-7.jpg

s-l1200-5.jpg

s-l1200-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ads #2 and #3 shown, which are basically the same illustration of the Traveler, are concepts as far as I know. I've never found a Traveler setup with those decals, chain ring or fenders. The concept looks like a mashup of a late 40s/early 50s Continental and a Traveler. Maybe at some point they thought the Traveler would look more like that, but it didn't. It would be a nice looking Traveler if they did.

Last edited:
Back