When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Air Tools Overkill?

-

Cranky Chain Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
We're talking die and angle grinders and an aluminum polishing kit with multiple buffing wheels. It looks like a 25-30 gallon air compressor is the minimum to run these. I had great luck using a corded orbital buffer on my truck so I thought using lightweight air tools to buff fenders would speed up the process. I would much rather use hand tools than a permanent bench-mounted buffing wheel.

If you have the space and $ to convert your shop then go with pneumatic. Makes life so much easier and you can do so much more like painting & dual action tools. I’d recommend a two stage compressor to ensure you don’t lose power with continuous use

80C1B588-3171-4A68-855B-2B2FD5A74A81.png

My home one is smaller but we have a few of these at work. They’re great. I’m hoping if we upgrade to buy one from the company

Really I’m going for the largest portable electric that’s runs on oil and plugs into a 110 volt socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a new 80 Gal stand up compressor...I liked it but this guy owed me $$ (for ever) so when he offered it to me as partial payment I jumped on it. I returned mine (only had I a week) and picked up this one. I like how vintage it looks but would rather the stand up so as to conserve room in my shop. This one is a 1931 60 Gal 5 HP Manley manufactured in Bridgeport CT. Just mounted a new switch and replaced the sight glass but I need to replace the gasket from the crank access cover - slow dribble.. Sounds much better then the new one.... I have quite a bit of air tools but broke down and bought a battery powered Impact driver and screw gun just to have both options...I would also like an ol' school electric impact driver...found one but it was toast. As stated earlier, gives you lots of options
1931 Manley.jpg

air tools spin at a incredibly faster rate than electric -really useful for polishing but more maintenance and noise --I like to listen to the radio when I work

Back