When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bass Guitar

-
The prices on most of the old Fender basses have gone through the roof over the past 10-15 years. They were getting kind of expensive in the '90s and '00s, but since then have gone way up. Frankly, unless you have money to burn, I would stay clear of a high-dollar vintage Fender if you're going to play it much. Many were great playing basses, but the prices aren't justified from a player standpoint.

For a basic "player", I'd look at Reverb for a used Highway One/Highway 1 Fender (they were Made in USA but no frills instruments to keep cost down) or Made/Crafted in Japan Fender (the Japanese Fenders are usually very good). The Standard Made in Mexico Fenders are not bad, but if given a choice between a Fender Mexican P-Bass and a Fender Japanese P-Bass, I'd look to the Japanese first.

Be careful on the newly-made Mexican P-Basses if you want a Rosewood fretboard. I believe they substituted Rosewood out for Pao Ferro on the Mexican Fenders when there was a dust up over rare woods regulations a few years ago. Not everyone cares, but some people are traditional and want the Rosewood.
Sound advice... I've got a highway one Jazz as well. Mine has a Badass II bridge which was a nice piece for the "no frills" made in America line. Nice bass just a P guy. Agree with the Crafted in Japan (better than made in Japan) but prices on those have really gone up as well. I was thinking 90's MIM were pretty decent

Sound advice... I've got a highway one Jazz as well. Mine has a Badass II bridge which was a nice piece for the "no frills" made in America line. Nice bass just a P guy. Agree with the Crafted in Japan (better than made in Japan) but prices on those have really gone up as well. I was thinking 90's MIM were pretty decent
The MIM Standards from that era are usually decent quality. If you could get your hands on a good one locally, I'd go for it rather than hunt online. A good Mexico P-bass is better than a mediocre one, regardless of where made.

I think Fender's line up in the late 90s and early 00s was more straightforward than it is now. It was pretty straight forward that you had "Standard" which was Mexican-made and generally a good bargain, "American" which was the base model Made in USA and a step up, "American Deluxe" which was deluxe modern features, and "American Vintage" which was deluxe and old school.

Today, they have all these different names for the lines they offer, and the array is bewildering to me. My two main players are a 2004 Highway 1 P-Bass (the first gen with the vintage type bridge) and a 2002 CIJ Sting signature bass (the single-coil type P-bass with the oval pick up). Neither one was a deluxe model, but both are great players.

I have a short scale black Ibanez with a hard shell I would sell - if interested I’ll send photos!

Bart

Thanks everyone, I did buy a Fender Prodigy. This guitar might be a prototype as the serial number is 000065. I have looked at a couple hundred pics of the Prodigy and cannot find anything like this one. The pictures make it look white but it is really almond color.

If anyone can help me find anything out or where to search out more I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone, I did buy a Fender Prodigy. This guitar might be a prototype as the serial number is 000065. I have looked at a couple hundred pics of the Prodigy and cannot find anything like this one. The pictures make it look white but it is really almond color.View attachment 1746216

View attachment 1746217

View attachment 1746218

View attachment 1746219

View attachment 1746220

If anyone can help me find anything out or where to search out more I would greatly appreciate it.
Did you buy yourself an ebike? I do not blame you with a bad hip. Time to get jammin Kirk.

Back