When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix MANUAL 2 speed, years available on Schwinns?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you look into the axle you should see a slotted screw head. That piece may be missing as well. If the axle is hollow then you have to determine if exactly what parts are in need of. The gear levers are specific to the manual it has a solid metal cable cover that needs to be securely mounted to the bike frame. bicyclebones did sell the part that mounts on the end of the axle and is activated by the cable which he also sold at one time. I do not think he sold the lever but they do come up for sale. It seems like cables in good condition and the clamps are the most often the hard part to find. Did you say you had the hub apart?
Yes, the brakes weren't working as good. And it was making a little rattle noise when coasting sometimes. I don't think I used the right grease, but I have a tub of white lithium grease.
I figured the planetary gears were some sort of torque multiplier for the brakes. Looking back at all the evidence, of course it's some sort of geared hub.
I didn't see any screw inside the axle,or any means of control. I've got a couple other things to do today, but I will definitely get it apart again and replace the grease if nothing else pretty soon.
In the meantime, thank you very much for trying to school a relative noob.

The hub has disc brakes they get oil not grease and make sure the bearings are in the correct position. They tend to be some what noisy, or they have a growl as I like to say. When you have it apart you need to look at a schematic of the hub to make sure it has all the parts and also look for signs of excessive wear. Let us know how you make out.

The hub has disc brakes they get oil not grease and make sure the bearings are in the correct position. They tend to be some what noisy, or they have a growl as I like to say. When you have it apart you need to look at a schematic of the hub to make sure it has all the parts and also look for signs of excessive wear. Let us know how you make out.
Disc brakes? Which hub are we talking about again? If it has 3 Red bands, that makes more sense. That would be the Automatic Kickback and it won't have the hollow axle. If the hub shell is smooth in the middle, then you may be missing those Manual control parts previously discussed and it will have brake shoes. Could also be a Yellow band Automatic Kickback that would have brake shoes as well.

Yup! The plan is to print the diagram posted in the thread, and take it it in the basement, where I ruin bikes.
Currently it's laced into a rim for putting into the remains of a parts bike a friend gave me, a really pretty old Hercules.
Thank you so much for your help!

Disc brakes? Which hub are we talking about again? If it has 3 Red bands, that makes more sense. That would be the Automatic Kickback and it won't have the hollow axle. If the hub shell is smooth in the middle, then you may be missing those Manual control parts previously discussed and it will have brake shoes. Could also be a Yellow band Automatic Kickback that would have brake shoes as well.
Yes sorry brake pads my bad

No, this one is smooth, no bands, no color, it's got a hollow axle. I'm learning a lot today. Better stop eating funnyions and start eating responsibilityions. Updates tomorrow after work.

Thank you for your time and patience.
This hub will have to be bumped to the end of the line. When time allows it I'm trying to get another project together for an old and custom bike ride in Ohio. Stupid stuff happened to my fender skirt bike too.(I don't wanna talk about it..) I might be supplying a couple bikes to old friends and family.
IMG_20211020_101333588.jpg
IMG_20210917_135810231.jpg

I have a 1957 Racer with a Bendix 2 speed handlebar shifter. I always assumed it was original equipment.

I have a 1957 Racer with a Bendix 2 speed handlebar shifter. I always assumed it was original equipment.

It very well could have been original equipment. Notice the option on the 57 Price Sheet for the geared Racer.

1957.jpg

Back