When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bianchi Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I like the look of those tires. I may have to pick some up for my commuter (1982 Trek 420)

Are they seriously that tight though? I'd hate to have to fix a flat while going to work with a super tight tire.

It may have to do with the rim too I suppose.

Bike is looking nice.

Yes, they're that right. My friend said if I have a flat on the road just call my wife and drop the bike at the bike shop. He's not doing another one. Now we don't know if the tires are that tight or if my wheels are the issue. All I know is both the tires and wheels appear issue free. Go figure. I really do like them though.

Richard Newton

Last edited:
I've been riding the bike for a few weeks now. One observation is about the tubes I've used.

Tubes.JPG

The one on the left is from Specialized and was purchased from the local Trek store. It uses a threaded valve and was made in China. It leaks very little air. The one on the right is latex and has a non-threaded valve stem. It was made in Thailand. It leaks at least 4 lbs a day. I have to fill that one on a regular basis. No complaints about either really. Just an observation.

btw - what are your feelings about threaded vs. non-threaded valve stems?

Richard Newton

Last edited:
I'm still riding the bike. I think I've just about made the decision to have it painted very soon. I found a bike shop I like. My only previous experience was with the local Trek store. I'm sure they were a very capable facility but I just couldn't connect with them.

12686_450847401623451_1333937492_n.jpg

The best part of EA Bicycles is that they understand Italian bikes. They actually sell them. I feel a lot better about leaving my Bianchi in a store that sells Bianchi. Taking your Bianchi to a Trek dealer is like taking a Ducati to a Harley Davidson dealer. It's just not right.

Keep in mind that when I say I'm going to get the bike painted that means everything has to come part. Everything.

Then it all goes back together - properly. This could get very interesting.

Richard Newton

Restoration Project

Last edited:
The bike is now in the shop getting all the little stuff taken care of. I'm going to hold off on the paint for at least six months. Right now I've spent $604 dollars on a bike that the Bicycle Blue Book says is worth $217. All of the details are on my blog.

btw - I really like this bike.

Bianchi - blue.JPG

Richard Newton

Last edited:
It's always the little parts that make you crazy. While my bike came with most of the parts a few were missing. Like these crank dust covers.

Bianchi isn't a lot of help with these parts. They're interested in selling new bikes. That means you have to go to Evil Bay.

IMG_1821.jpg

There are a lot of generic dust covers and a lot of plastic ones. It seems most bikes use a 22 mm dust cover.

I found a lot of Campagnolo dust covers but very few Bianchi one. Prices are all over the place. People are selling the same dust covers for $10 and $30. Those are Campy covers. You can get an entire Bianchi crank are set complete with all the caps and dust covers for $24.95. Then just try to buy a pair of Bianchi dust caps. Prices go as high as $60.00 for a pair.

I ended up buying a pair from a guy in Canada for $37.99 They say Bianchi and they're made out of aluminum. They might even be original NOS.

Richard Newton
The Bianchi Project

I've been riding the bike for a few weeks now. One observation is about the tubes I've used.

View attachment 103767

The one on the left is from Specialized and was purchased from the local Trek store. It uses a threaded valve and was made in China. It leaks very little air. The one on the right is latex and has a non-threaded valve stem. It was made in Thailand. It leaks at least 4 lbs a day. I have to fill that one on a regular basis. No complaints about either really. Just an observation.

btw - what are your feelings about threaded vs. non-threaded valve stems?

Richard Newton

Latex tubes always lose more air though they are lighter. I prefer threaded stems because you can tighten the stem nut against the rim which helps keep the stem from moving around, lessening the chance of a leak around the base of the stem.

Here's one I did a few years ago. The entire bike, seat, tires, chain, etc. were all spray painted red. I stripped everything and repainted the frame/fork and polished everything else. Full Shimano 600 (Ultegra) group.

BianchiLimited1_zps53b135c9-1.jpg

Back