When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clincher wood rims

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MarlinSteve

Finally riding a big boys bike
This has probably been asked before but are there tires avalaible that wil fit 28" clincher style wood rims from the 1890s?

700c

Generally, 700C tires will fit the old clinchers. 700C x 35 is the best match for the original 28 x 1 1/2" size - Schwalbe makes a Delta Cruiser in that size, and Linus also offers a nice one.

To be certain, you could measure the bead seat circumference with a tape measure and divide by pi to find the BCD of your rims. If it's somewhere near 622mm, which it probably is, then 700C should fit. There are some 28 x 1 1/2" tires advertised on eBay right now, but the description says they are made to fit 635mm rims and do not fit antique clinchers. If there's anything more confusing than bike tire sizes, I don't know what it is.

There are two kinds of "28 inch" wheels. One is the TOC style which should be the same as 700c, the other is the 635mm wheel which was on some British and colonial market bikes. Without looking at the ebay tires in question, I'd assume that when the seller says 635mm, that they are correct and those would be the wrong size. Wheel and tire sizes in bikes is incredibly confusing. It would be nice if everything just used ISO sizing as a default.

This has probably been asked before but are there tires avalaible that wil fit 28" clincher style wood rims from the 1890s?

You should measure your rims to be sure. It's hard for someone to tell you what fits your bike without actually having your rims in their possession. I've had early steel clinchers that fit a 27" road bike tire which is a 630mm beat seat diameter.

Sheldon Brown's info is forever helpful as he tells how to measure your rim AND provides a list of sizes based on ISO measurements.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Let us know how it turns out!

Yeah I love this:

There are several different wheels listed as "24" or "26" inch that are no at all compatible.

A 700c is the same as a "28" inch (622mm) except when it's not (635mm).

A "29" inch is a 700c, just wider.

A "27" inch (630mm) is larger than the "28" and the "29" inch except for the English-style "28" inch!

I guess if this stuff made sense, fixing, restoring, and modifying bikes would be too easy.

That's why I recommended that he measure his rims. Then he can track down the tire. If you go around asking for 28" tires there is no telling what you'll get as English standards are different than the rest of Europe. I've seen tires on German and Dutch sites advertised as 28" but when checking the specs they're 622mm BSD.

Last edited:
Generally, 700C tires will fit the old clinchers. 700C x 35 is the best match for the original 28 x 1 1/2" size - Schwalbe makes a Delta Cruiser in that size, and Linus also offers a nice one.

To be certain, you could measure the bead seat circumference with a tape measure and divide by pi to find the BCD of your rims. If it's somewhere near 622mm, which it probably is, then 700C should fit. There are some 28 x 1 1/2" tires advertised on eBay right now, but the description says they are made to fit 635mm rims and do not fit antique clinchers. If there's anything more confusing than bike tire sizes, I don't know what it is.

Well I dont know what that pi and BCD stuff means as I am a old fart but I measured the bead seat circumference and got about 76and 5/8".
Thanks guys for your input so far.

Last edited:
As pointed out earlier by Krautwaggen ( He Knows through hands on experience )

......Sheldons thread ( http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html ) really explains it well and in detail - also the charts are very helpful to most! I think keeping it simple is best.

For those who might be a little lazy these Diag.'s from Sheldon's site should be of assistance in relation to Clinchers.

bead-seat-diameter.jpg

Tire width

Which tire fits safely on which rim?
[all dimensions in millimeters]
Tire width
Rim width
(interior) 18 20 23 25 28 32 35 37 40 44 47 50 54 57
13 X X X X
15 X X X X
17 X X X X X
19 X X X X X X
21 X X X X X X
23 X X X X
25 X X X X X

Note: This chart may err a bit on the side of caution. Many cyclists exceed the recommended widths with no problem.

Your quick answer is NO

It has been my experience that the old clincher do not match up with new tires, do all the math and all the mounting struggle and it leads to no. This is one of the reasons Our new replacement wheels we sell are so extremely popular.
the old clinchers have no fudge room they are in the realm of 619mm and thats produces a goose egg on tires, i have seen it work when some one found some tires that were cheaply made and most likely were not the size that were labeled. Now 29"ers are basicly wide 700 c wheel and 622 tire 700 x 40 is close to and often considered 28 x 1 1/2" Then you have third world and english rims 28" x 1 1/2" that is a 635mm rim. Lux Low is nor Dealers for Velocity, Wheelsmith, and Schwalbe tires all innovative solutions for your bike, we are starting to list all the new product today, You may check our ebay store and pm we through here fore the cabe member minus ebay cut price. I am just listing the product so give me a few days
Ebay store: LuxLow.Bikes Rims and wheels or LuxLowBikes Tires

I forgot to add this i think G&J wood covered clinchers can use a newer tire, so G&J wood covered clinchers i speculate is its own tire size.

tyler

Last edited:
Back