When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confusing Nut

-
Nice. I notice the stem was facing backwards in that picture. I bet that was done for better fit. I picked up a bike that had the same thing. I got it from the original owners grandson. He was not a tall man. I asked at the time if he was built like his grandpa in that way and he said yes, his grandpa wasn't very tall either. Great picture by the way.

Turn counter clockwise to loosen. Usually not too tight. In a pinch you can use a brass punch or an aluminum scrap and mallet so as not to mar the slot.

BTW If not already known it is a Snyder built bike and has its own specific dust cover set up.

Thanks!

Great project, hope you got some present pics before you took it apart so we can see where your starting.

Great story, and great memories. And the picture of your Mom with the bike is priceless. Good luck with the restore, and more pics as you go would take us all along on your journey.

that dust cover may be in the way for my method, but I use my vice jaws over the slotted area on the race nut. then just turn the crank arms. Sometimes I put 1" aluminum angle on jaws as well. good luck.

There should be a reverse year code on the BB (bottom bracket), so '74, 84, or 94', plus a two digit factory code, 'SN' for Snyder factory, NY, 'EH' for Excelsior factory, IN.

Back