When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corbin & New Departure Hub Dating Project - Need everyone's help pre-1933

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Can anyone give Me any details on a brake I have recently aquired......It was on a wooden rim.....32 spoke.....It is called a Cinch.......and on the brake arm which is very short.....it says Riggs Spencer Company......Rochester New York.....any input would be helpful Thanks....

Can anyone give Me any details on a brake I have recently aquired......It was on a wooden rim.....32 spoke.....It is called a Cinch.......and on the brake arm which is very short.....it says Riggs Spencer Company......Rochester New York.....any input would be helpful Thanks....
Pics?

Thanks Jesse
Any idea on who has a original sprocket and big nut for my BB hub? Thank you
The hub in the second post looks more like a Corbin, but not just because the brake arm reads “Corbin” but also the internal parts that actuate the brake (2 prongs versus 3).

So maybe it might be a Corbin model 5-B, motorcycle coaster brake, instead of a ND model BB.
Kind of looks that way from the pictures.

I believe that Scott McC may sell axle nuts for Corbin hubs, (but I am not sure what makes them any different from other axle nuts). https://www.ebay.com/itm/293051532161?campid=5335809022

Last edited:
Bill Smith just posted this on the Wheelmen site:

Dave,
Great post on hubs. I have searched through my Iver Johnson and Lovell Diamond catalogs with many of the early ones containing a lot of bicycle sundries. The 1903, the Lovell Diamond Bicycle Supplies Catalog shows the Model A the first time, calling it the 1903 Model. I was able to track the Model A through to 1926. In 1920, the Lovell Diamond catalog shows a Model C for the first time. I think this Model must have ran through 1933. In a 1934 Ward's Catalog, I found what they call the new Model D brake hub in nickel finish. They claimed it had 90% braking surface than the old model which apparently was the Model C. If you compare the Model C and D, it is very evident that the D has many more braking washers than the C, giving a much better braking ability. The 1936 Ward's Catalog now has the Model D in a chrome finish. After 1959, the Mattatuck brought out New Departure and lasted until the mid-sixties.

There are images on the Wheelmen site you might want to take a look at

http://www.thewheelmen.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5104
Could you please post an image of the 1920 Lovell Diamond catalog page with the model C. Sadly the Wheelmen images are now a dead link.
Thanks, Brant

This thread is very very well done and worth going through. I will add my ND "C" observations as I plan on using this recently purchased example to finish an early 1933 26" clincher balloon wheelset. The parts diagram below was originally posted on pg. 7 by @Gary Mc.
Model "C" ("improved) is shown in the earliest ad in 1928,(Pg7) although supposedly around since 1920. 1933 at some point is when after that the "D" took over. The left side arm and lack of dust shield on the left side cone seem to be the only differences as well as the drilled bronze/tabbed brake discs. Another earlier "C" hub observation has both the bronze and steel discs drilled.

newdeparturec-1-jpg.jpg

What I found interesting are the drilled bronze brake discs shown in the above diagram, confirmed by what I discovered in my recently found hub. Question is: which parts if any besides the arm, left side cone, drive cog/retainer/dust shield are different?
1688153745548.jpeg

1688218057753.jpeg

The 12 Discs shown above were inside, with just one keyed steel axle disk that begins the stack on the non drive side and ends with a bronze one on the right.
1688153798775.jpeg

No script on the two-notch cog retainer. Flat inside finish to the cog and machined dish on the outside. The internal parts compared to a "D" that I have seems to confirm in the exploded view above that they interchange, although the drive side dust cap is thicker/longer on the C" than the "D".
1688153823057.jpeg

1688153857296.jpeg

Additionally, as has been mentioned here, the plating seems to be nickel on mine, as the use of chrome plating on parts began sometime during and/or after the "C" hubs. The Oiler on my hub does not resemble the diagram, but instead like the "D" oilers and could be because of the artists' rendering.
1688154862380.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure if this observation was posted before, regarding the earlier ND hubs.

I was working on some older New Departure coaster brake hubs today, and picked up one hub shell and noticed, hey that 2nd one feels heavier! (Just the hand-felt weight test).

So I don’t have a scale, and the right and left ends of the different hubs looked the same.
At first, I wondered if different steel alloys would make such a weight difference; (but I really didn’t think so).

So I looked at the middle spool or saddle shaped area, and noticed a slight visible difference in diameters. Two heavier-thicker hubs measured 1.25” and one lighter-skinnier hub measured 1.15” for a one tenth of an inch (0.1”) difference. That’s a lot, and explains the weight difference; but was the dimensional change considered a new model by ND?

Throughout this thread that combines New Departure and Corbin hubs, and other stuff, the ND model 1903 and model A are used as interchangeable terms. Now I wonder if they might have actually been different models?

I am thinking that the heavier-thicker hubs, (stamped Model A), might be later, and the lighter-skinnier hub (not stamped) might be earlier; maybe because it became easier and more affordable to make them that way?

And I wonder when the change might have been implemented; 1904?

Last edited:
Corbin Duplex Models 7 & 8 Dust Cap?
Brass 2.5 x 0.375 in. Check Ring 2.jpg

A brass 2+1/2 inch "check ring" (electrical lamp part) might work as a make-do dust cap if an original Corbin Duplex cannot otherwise be found.
The 3/8" hole would have to be enlarged to fit the brake piece.
The piece could also be drilled for a Bendix or Morrow oil port cover & screw.
The brass might look nice, all polished and shiny, (or not?).

Last edited:
Riddle me this:
Look at the picture and tell me what it goes to but don't be too quick as you should notice this is thick cast and square holed and I don't know of a model A that had a square fitting.
Now what are people's best guess as to what this goes to???

new departure brake arm mystery.jpg

new departure brake arm mystery 2.jpg

Back