When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID Manta Ray?l

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The OP's bike has the serial number on the head tube. Numbers were moved from the dropout to the headtube in 1972. Coaster brake was an option in 72.

The numbers were moved to the head tube in May of 1970. This bike was equipped with a serial on the drop out and on the head tube.

So the seller met me at a place close by. I was surprised. It’s an original singlespeed. Seat and back tire were swapped out along her 50 year journey. Otherwise amazingly unmolested. We agreed upon a price that was fair for us both.
Glad it worked out for you. It will look good with your violet Twinn.

Absolutely a singlespeed Manta-Ray. I've got an Orange one I can take pics of when I get home if needed. The coaster guard has the star where the 5 speed has the checkered flags with 5-speed in between. Arched seat stays confirms it also.
Arched seat stays?

Glad it worked out for you. It will look good with your violet Twinn.
Was that you that pointed me to the Twinn? Yeah, this cat was gonna be about 20 miles away from me working another dealio. He said he'd bring it with him so I took a look at it after work. It didn't have 5 speed on the chainguard and I saw no evidence of a shifter. In fact, the paint looks surprisingly good overall. The handle grips and handle bars look to be original, too. If I get time I might pull the crankset out and see if there's a date somewhere. I'd like to throw a 24" kickback on the old girl and ride her some. Something drew me to her and I'm glad I took an hour out of my day.

The date stamped on the drop out is stamped at a different time then the manufacture. There is no way a December '71 stamped drop out waqs used on a bike that was offered or sold in '71. No misinformation , nice job reading the chart. I was actually trying to answer the OP's question beyond that.
Is there a chart for serial numbers?

Absolutely a singlespeed Manta-Ray. I've got an Orange one I can take pics of when I get home if needed. The coaster guard has the star where the 5 speed has the checkered flags with 5-speed in between. Arched seat stays confirms it also.
Hey, I'd love to see detailed pictures of yours to see where I need to be. I looks like it had a brake up front that has been removed.

Was that you that pointed me to the Twinn? Yeah, this cat was gonna be about 20 miles away from me working another dealio. He said he'd bring it with him so I took a look at it after work. It didn't have 5 speed on the chainguard and I saw no evidence of a shifter. In fact, the paint looks surprisingly good overall. The handle grips and handle bars look to be original, too. If I get time I might pull the crankset out and see if there's a date somewhere. I'd like to throw a 24" kickback on the old girl and ride her some. Something drew me to her and I'm glad I took an hour out of my day.
Yes, I pointed you to the violet Twinn when you posted here looking for one. I'm only 20 miles from Sheffield, but I have no clue who that seller is. He has several Marketplace listings for bikes and collectibles, which are all posted as being in Princeton. Not sure why his location was different for the Manta. Maybe he has a shop or antique mall booth in Princeton, which is just down the road from Sheffield. I'll watch for a seat.

Yes, I pointed you to the violet Twinn when you posted here looking for one. I'm only 20 miles from Sheffield, but I have no clue who that seller is. He has several Marketplace listings for bikes and collectibles, which are all posted as being in Princeton. Not sure why his location was different for the Manta. Maybe he has a shop or antique mall booth in Princeton, which is just down the road from Sheffield. I'll watch for a seat.
He has a place called Wyanet Carpet in Princeton. I was dragging my feet on driving down because I thought it looked like a whore. When he said he was coming my way and could bring it I said WTF? It ended up being a pleasant surprise. Thanks for the violet Twinn hookup!

The numbers were moved to the head tube in May of 1970. This bike was equipped with a serial on the drop out and on the head tube.

View attachment 1609536

View attachment 1609537
I have never seen that before. Both "EF" which I presume is 1970, but one with 5 numbers and one with 6. I have seen charts indicating that the headtube stamping started in 1970 versus 1972 and I guess the bike you pictured is proof. Thanks for sharing.

Back