When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's a Raleigh you don't see everyday.

-
-----

VIVA Gerry Burgess!

Bring on that Hiduminium patio furniture. 😉

-----
Gerry Burgess it is! I've seen those markings before, but never knew what it stood for! Thanks!

-----

because the GB Ventoux model bend carries an image of the island of Britain a great many cyclists have assumed the letters stood for Great Britain

1660951880136.png

1660951876573.png

similar to the unfortunate coincidence of a very high quality brand of frame tubing carrying the name Reynolds. made millions of yanks think it meant the frames constructed with it were bauxite derived...

---

few enthusiasts know that there was a brief period in the late forties to early fifties when Gerry Burgess joined forces with Altenburger and Magistroni to offer a short lived road ensemble

-----

I thought I remembered the style somewhere.
Not the same of course but indicative of the styles crossing the pond.
These come up quite often around here for some reason. I saw a Hercules version with a twin top bar and snapped it up. It was a Hawthorn Badged Hercules with a Birmingham badge note and a 62' SA three speed. It will be my winter custom project down at the shop. Interesting note is that it has this Japanese saddle and the caliper brakes were Japanese also. Both OG as far as I can tell. Certainly period pieces.

The VCC N&V periodical cover is of a type that might solve the import/export question, but on the inside cover it doesn't mention the type of bike and even up close I cant read the down tube. Looks like a Raleigh head badge tho, and has the British steel decal on the seatpost.
The other pic is of the Hercules, Ive posted it before. Ive seen the Hercules bikes like this with cantilever twin bars and a solid top bar also but this is the only twin top bar one Ive seen so far.

Last edited:
Back