When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Light is Your Lightweight?

-
Ha! It is a beast compared to modern "Lightweight" bikes. I bet it flies down hills. I penciled you in on the 41-42 New World = 36 lbs line. :)
1598939353548.png

My 64 Deluxe Racer had the front wheel run over by the family car before I found it. I bought it crunched and it weighed 35 lbs stock with chain guard, fenders and no other accessories. After making it a bike to carry around spare Schwinn lightweight parts that I particularly like, it weighs 29lbs. One day soon I will have it painted and done up to perfection (my version) :)
Most all of the weight loss was in the front end. An Ashtebulah cast iron fork weighs three times what a Tange fork weighs. The wheels are old Alum Weinmann's that have a look similar to a Schwinn S-5.
1011200956_Film2_resized.jpeg

Last edited:
Are your wheels still 26" or did you go to 27"?
I'd like to find some alloy 26" but they seem to be pretty hard to come by.

Are your wheels still 26" or did you go to 27"?
I'd like to find some alloy 26" but they seem to be pretty hard to come by.
Those are 700c's. Just a hair smaller than a 27, depending on the tires. There just aren't any choices for the Schwinn 26" tires. I've had plenty of those and have several sets on the wall. Sometimes I like to haul-ass and those slick bead tires scare me taking corners fast. The 700's have nearly unlimited tire styles and sizes, wire bead and clincher.
There probably aren't any Schwinn 26" alum rims for the earlier bikes, maybe the Sierra? But there are a lot of aftermarket choices for 26" rims that will work. Bringing my own hubs, then rims, spokes and set-up has been less than $200 the last couple times I've had it done.
It makes a BIG difference in rolling resistance when you can use high pressure tires

Back