When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm Looking For Information About "The Monkees" Unicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
probably stashed in the back of a garage in L.A. somewhere.

Storage Wars.jpg

Mickey Dolenz

Mickey Dolenz is the sole remaining MONKEE he has a web page and facebook page, has anyone reached out to him about info of these Kustom pieces?
Thank you for a really great idea, koolbikes. The problem is that his webpage is more about engagment booking and the agencies he's working through. These people will probably have zero interest, or time, to discuss a prop used in a show made five decades ago! If he had a personal Facebook account, I might stand a chance. Does anyone on here know the man? I'm not a stalker, just a vintage bicycle collector. Ha!

Interesting story about the Monkeymobile. Maybe you could post your question on that site.

munkee.jpg

I feel that these Monkee's Unicycles were a Kustom Built piece.

I happened to be looking at the fender of this unicycle and it made me think of the Mattel Stallion bicycle Fenders so, I looked up Mattel Unicycle and came across a very similar style piece, same concept. The Mattel description was Tricycle unicycle.

1968 Hot Wheels Super Rally Case by Mattel... looks more like the Wheel.

Found the patent... LEAN VELOCIPEDE https://patents.google.com/patent/US3860264

Mattel Stallion bicycle has Squared fenders with stripe down the middle similar to these unicycles.

afen1.jpg

ahwc.jpeg

Last edited:
After more research it was Mattel that had a hand in the Monkee Velocipede
Inventors : John W. Ryan & Robert A MacMeekin
Same Guy's invented the Mattel V-RROOM X-15

US Patent # 3392991A

View attachment 1562844

View attachment 1562845

View attachment 1562846
Wow! I think you've nailed it. This is really "Kool" information. Now, outside of the four Monkee unicycles, were any ever put into production? If so, there has to be one languishing somewhere. You made my day!!!

Could not find anything in the 1964 thru 1968 Mattel Toy Catalogs or toy advertisements.
I'm sure if they were produced we would be finding them or something about them available.
Maybe there stashed in Mickey Dolenz Garage, there out there somewhere.
Sounds like a Monkee's song : "I'm a Believer"

I checked out the Sears Christmas catalogs for 1968-69-70 and didn't see anything other than the regular unicycles. Sears usually had all the new crazy items when I was a kid, so I thought they for sure would be in their catalogs.

The "mag" wheel on this thing looks like it may be a cast aluminum piece, very expensive to mass produce. It was probably too cost prohibitive to mass produce. The end product most likely would have cost as much as a Bronco or Stallion bicycle, too much money for something that would end up collecting dust in the corner of a garage!

Back