When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interest in bicycles when its warm vs the dead of winter?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This is one of the recent posts that got me to finally sign up here.

As someone who buys too many bikes and parts to suit my needs or storage ability, I'm always buying then selling off what don't suit my needs.
I still save way too many bikes and parts but lately I've not had much choice.
Absolutely nothing sells these days here. I sometimes wonder if I'd get any replies if I offered a $20 bill for $10.
Regardless of price, in the past 6 months I've had absolutely zero replies on CL and only one valid reply on FB and that was an item I was looking to buy.
(In that case the seller flaked out and refused to meet in person, I wonder how that all worked out for him?)

Ebay costs too much to sell, but even that is dead now. Noting seems to sell there. (I've been watching a pair of super clean Stronglight cranks off a Peugeot PX10 that have gone untouched for months at $99. a few years ago they'd have had a list of bidders and gone through the roof.

This is one of the recent posts that got me to finally sign up here.

As someone who buys too many bikes and parts to suit my needs or storage ability, I'm always buying then selling off what don't suit my needs.
I still save way too many bikes and parts but lately I've not had much choice.
Absolutely nothing sells these days here. I sometimes wonder if I'd get any replies if I offered a $20 bill for $10.
Regardless of price, in the past 6 months I've had absolutely zero replies on CL and only one valid reply on FB and that was an item I was looking to buy.
(In that case the seller flaked out and refused to meet in person, I wonder how that all worked out for him?)

Ebay costs too much to sell, but even that is dead now. Noting seems to sell there. (I've been watching a pair of super clean Stronglight cranks off a Peugeot PX10 that have gone untouched for months at $99. a few years ago they'd have had a list of bidders and gone through the roof.
This is the progression of life.
Im very philosophical in all that I do and I see these things as a progression.
There is a time when all things wane. As the people that once enjoyed these things wane, so do the things. Uncertainty in our futures, our advancing age, rising costs, less time available...etc, etc.
The PX10 thing hits a chord with me because not too long ago I bought a bike for its parts to put on a few of my bikes. The seller also had a 72' PX10. The SS I bought was his first bike and the PX, his second. He still had every bike he ever owned and they were all in great condition. He asked me to help him sell a couple of the others, and I tried for a bit, but there are no takers on great old road bike parts unless there is another reason. Greed and status.
If the PX was a fully equipped Campy bike, It would have parted out for several hundred. As it was, I looked up all the parts to see what they were going for and found just what you described. a Flood of unsold stronglight, etc. Even used Campy parts must now be perfect to sell them and the prices are going down.
The whole world is becoming what England experienced in the 1950's with bikes. Flooded with makes, models and parts so much that there is a glut, and not enough people to take advantage of them. That is why the English government forced a consolidation of the English bicycle industry in the 50's through early 60's. There were over 300 builders in the 40's after the war and non were selling enough to keep them or their employees in food and clothes.

I volunteer and work at the DM bike collective and there is no doubt that most people use a bike as status. They would much rather buy it new with monthly payments than get an even better one 2 years old for a 1/4 of the price.
Its real hard to enjoy all three aspects of bicycles for very long unless its your full-time life mission.
Buying, using and selling is very fluid and follows the ages of the people with interest. You can't ride a bike into your coffin. Even I at 58 am having issues. Im having to change positioning and saddles and clothes. This changes what I buy and sell also, as well as the bikes I do it on.

This is what the show American Pickers is based on :)
Eventually, its nice, and beautiful and cool as hell, but.... eh.

Last edited:
ll work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

This is the progression of life.
Im very philosophical in all that I do and I see these things as a progression.
There is a time when all things wane. As the people that once enjoyed these things wane, so do the things. Uncertainty in our futures, our advancing age, rising costs, less time available...etc, etc.
The PX10 thing hits a chord with me because not too long ago I bought a bike for its parts to put on a few of my bikes. The seller also had a 72' PX10. The SS I bought was his first bike and the PX, his second. He still had every bike he ever owned and they were all in great condition. He asked me to help him sell a couple of the others, and I tried for a bit, but there are no takers on great old road bike parts unless there is another reason. Greed and status.
If the PX was a fully equipped Campy bike, It would have parted out for several hundred. As it was, I looked up all the parts to see what they were going for and found just what you described. a Flood of unsold stronglight, etc. Even used Campy parts must now be perfect to sell them and the prices are going down.
The whole world is becoming what England experienced in the 1950's with bikes. Flooded with makes, models and parts so much that there is a glut, and not enough people to take advantage of them. That is why the English government forced a consolidation of the English bicycle industry in the 50's through early 60's. There were over 300 builders in the 40's after the war and non were selling enough to keep them or their employees in food and clothes.

I volunteer and work at the DM bike collective and there is no doubt that most people use a bike as status. They would much rather buy it new with monthly payments that get an even better one 2 years old for a 1/4 of the price.
Its real hard to enjoy all three aspects of bicycles for very long unless its your full-time life mission.
Buying, using and selling is very fluid and follows the ages of the people with interest. You can't ride a bike into your coffin. Even I at 58 am having issues. Im having to change positioning and saddles and clothes. This changes what I buy and sell also, as well as the bikes I do it on.

This is what the show American Pickers is based on :)
Eventually, its nice, and beautiful and cool as hell, but.... eh.
That all is a good part of what's happening but I think its a lot simpler than that. The buyers are there if the parts are dirt cheap, they're no shopping quality, they're shopping brand and cheap.
I often end up with bikes in whole lots at auctions, partly because it gets me what I'm after cheaper and it also gives me a way to make some of the cash back.
It seems every lot I've bought has a pair of department store three speeds, either Huffy, Murray, or Sears. (lots of Sears bikes). Most of the Sears bikes are the cheap American variety, not the better older Austrian models. I prefer to stick to Raleigh, Schwinn, Ross, Columbia, or any of the better Japanese brands but I often take what's there. There's rarely any competition other than a few scrappers in the crowd who bail out at $10 to $20 dollars.
I've can list a Huffy in as found shape and a Raleigh, put $100 on each one, and the Huffy sells first all the time. Most have never heard of Raleigh these days. They only know what's down at Walmart or Target. Old three speed seem to sell better than 10 speeds because most can't figure out friction shifting and two derailleurs. Most don't want gears at all. I also can't imagine why there's so many in their 30's who are buying their very first bike. Let alone how many adults I've met that never learned to ride a bike. On my street alone I'd venture to guess only one or two people even know how to ride a bike, and they span from their late 20's to their late 80's.
I think the drought in sales is that people simply don't have any cash to spend.
I keep hearing that companies can't find people to work but I don't see anyone hiring other than the fast food joints and a bunch of minimum wage laborer jobs. In this area we lost dozens of stores, most of the trucking companies, and most of our restaurants over the past year and a half.
During Covid lockdown, things got tight but people were spending those stimulus checks on bikes and toys. That kept up through last summer, then it died all at once here. eBay slowed to a crawl for sellers and now seems to have stopped all together. I see things listed that should be selling but there's no takers.
I've also found that a bunch of sellers have gotten screwy. I've had a half dozen sales cancelled after I paid with no explanation in the last few weeks and lots of items listed with best offer on them only to have the seller ignore any offer made, letting the overpriced item go unsold for months. I won a few items over the winter and had the sellers flat out cancel the sale saying it was no longer for sale???
About 1 in 10 CL sellers seem to respond, and almost no FB sellers lately. I don't know why they even list items there if they don't want to sell.
I listened to a guy the other day who started talking to me at Lowes. He went on about how he can't believe he can't find a good 10hp outboard this year, he said he gave his old one to his kid and had planned to buy a new one but they wanted $5k for one. He said he's been looking high and low but can't find anything. I told him I had just seen a half dozen listed on CL, all were four strokes and a few were over in PA where they're less likely to get full of sea salt.
He tells me he looked there but everyone was over 5 years old and they wanted BIG money for them. (Most were around $1,500, which is about the going rate for something newer than say 1990 or so. He tells me he's only looking to spend four or five hundred dollars tops.
No wonder he can't find one, he won't get a parts motor for that much, especially in the summer.
When you listen to people like that you realize what's really going on, half the people are broke, and out of work, the other half are just cheap.
Its worse with bicycles.
Every last one of the bikes I've sold in the past five years went to someone who was either here visiting someone, here for work, or just passing through. Almost never is it a local buyer. Lately even the long distance buyers have gone away, likely due to the cost of fuel.
I really don't know what I'm going to do come winter, my place burns oil and there is no gas here and heating oil was $9/gal the last i checked.

Used bike sales have been brisk in New England this spring. Our bike swaps are happening again and reports are 70-80% sell through. The vintage swap at Dudley and vintage sellers at Seabrook both seemed to do OK as well. Regarding "rider quality" used bikes the prices for new are up 20% from 2019....so used bikes will continue to be in high demand this season, and likely next as well. Expecting sales to continue at 2020 or 2021 rates is not realistic though- people are now able to do other things and are less focused on cycling.

Spurned by this thread I checked the sales at the collective for the past month. It's been the best in 8 months. Over 20 a week, and the repairs and stand time are over the top.
I hope gas keeps going up. Might be time for a cultural reset.
There is speculation that prices won't come down as the oil companies are seeing the inevitable decline in combustion motored vehicles.
It's always been high in Europe . My sister just came back from Ireland and filled her rental cars hybrid VW 8 gallon tank for $120 US. Says it's over 8 per liter. I remember 6 per liter the last I was there 5 years ago..
Now I get to reminisce to my kids about .55c a gallon in the 70s

Over the past years I can't help but notice that for some reason when the weather gets warmer bikes get harder to sell? All winter long, I see bikes come and go on CL and FB and most will sell eventually. Once the weather warms, all interest in used bikes or parts seem to dwindle to almost nothing?
I see things on eBay listed for months on end, bikes on CL that never sell and ads get no emails regardless of price. I've watched five or six older Schwinn cruisers, a few Rollfast cruiser go unsold for $50 or $100 over the past few months. Back in Nov they'd have been gone in a flash. Its the same way every year.
I was in a bike shop last week and he was saying the same thing, he sells 90% of all his bikes in mid to late Dec, then one or two every now of then till Sept. He said he's thinking about closing completely between Jan and May due to no sales. (There was a shop like that around here years ago, the guy worked another job and only opened the store around Christmas and at nights the summer and fall. He was closed from Jan to Jun.
I would think that spring would be when folks are digging out their bikes and needing them fixed or out looking for a new bike. Even tires don't sell. I had a stack of new middle weight tires listed for a year, I sold four pair in Oct. two in Nov. Two in Dec, then nothing since. I finally sold the rest of them to a guy from OH who happened to be only about 80 miles away at the time. I'd have figured that more would have jumped on $20 - S7 tires regardless of the brand (branded 'National' K75). They looked like Kendas.

Worse yet, the only bikes that do sell are junk department store models. If I list a junk Kent for $50 its gone in hours, if I list a Chicago Schwinn it sits for months.
People also don't make offers, at least not reasonable offers.

I had an early 80's Schwinn Cruiser in nice condition, I went through it top to bottom in March, it was listed till the other day on CL for $300. It never got a single email. I gave it to a buddy who lives in TX to take home and sell. He sold it for $350 on his way home to a gas station attendant 30 miles from here. The guy asked him if he was the one who had it on CL, he tells him he saw it but it was too far away.
He was 30 miles away for heavens sake. I'd have probably met him half way or even delivered it if he paid first.
I get emails on bikes from guys and hour away who say they really want the bike but 35 miles away is a long ride. Or they don't own a car.

I was talking a guy at the local flea market a few weeks ago. He was walking table to table hunting for old military items and a particular type of china his wife collects. He finds an old Spanish bayonet on a table. He looks the thing over up and down, tells me he's got a rifle that's missing one and its a perfect match.
Being a bit of a gun nut myself I'm thinking its worth about $80 or so. He finally asks the guy how much, the seller says he'll take $30. He puts it down and walks away. Meanwhile I'm seeing them online for $120 and up. I asked him what he thought it was worth if he didn't want to spend $30? He tells me he's willing to spend $25 tops. Are you kidding? He walked away from something he may never see again over $5? He never made an offer, he just set it down and walked away. I turned around, picked the thing up and looked it over for a bit, then told the guy $10, he said no, but $15 will take it.
I walk back over to my buddy and told him I got it for $15, and he's pissed off. He figured he'd wait till it sat there on the table for a year and then offer the guy $2.
I offered it to him for the $15, but he refused. ( I was really just going to give it to him figuring it all works out in the end anyway, but I wanted him to admit he should have just bought it or made an offer.
Another buddy offered me $100 but I refused. 20 minutes ago buddy number one calls me and asks if I still had it, "He was thinking and he probably should have grabbed it that day at the flea market". I told him I sold it to let him stew over it a bit.
I think people forgot how to bargain these days if the price isn't dirt cheap or what they had in mind they don't bother. I see it at yardsales and fleamarkets all the time. They get a price, then walk away because its not what they expected.
People are weird. Period.

Back