When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Italian Head Badge thread

-
Invicta; Bologna (est. ? The company was in business at least in the late 40s-early 50s; Castagnini of Castagnini Cicli [est. 1953; still operating today] worked there prior to opening his own business. They also made?/sold mopeds.)

The second and third images are the front and back of a badge, but not a head badge. It is half the size (height and width) of the head badge itself, and flat on the front. I have no idea as to how it was affixed to a bike if indeed it was. It may have been pressed onto a rubber or soft plastic protrusion.

20230206_124257~2.jpg

20230206_130937~2.jpg

20230206_131317~2.jpg

Last edited:
Casarini; Torino, Asti (est. ? Not sure what city this marque first operated from.)

20230206_133541~2.jpg

CASARINI-200x200~2.jpg

(photo credit: registro storico cicli; editing Jesper)

Last edited:
Cicli A.L.A.; Bologna (est. ? I believe the marque is A.L.A. and not ALA; but I have yet to find any information or another badge, or bike displaying this badge.)

20230207_023550~2.jpg

Last edited:
Wander; Parma (est. circa 1940s post-WW2; marque introduced by Emilio Garlatti's son Alvise Garlatti)

20230207_034830~2.jpg

Cicli G. Bettini; ? (est. ? I do not know the significance of "SALA B.", possibly a location since Sala is a prefix before some Italian cities; i.e. Sala Comacina, Sala Consilina)

20230208_134520~2.jpg

Piave; Santa Lucia di Piave (est. ? This marque resulted from a dispute in the Michelin family which first built the Stella Veneto bikes and then split into the Miche component company, and Piave bikes being founded by Augusto Michelin prior to WW2. The shop still built frames in early 2000s and still runs at the present time. Edit: I have seen a comment saying that the Michelin family built frames/bikes for about 17 years prior to 1936, but no marque name was given. I only have it that Stella Veneta was established circa 1935, with the split of the family then creating the separate companies of Piave which Piave was created. But when exactly did the split occur; prior to Piave maybe? The Miche company was founded in 1919 by Ferdinando Michelin, so that would imply that they made bikes prior to the formation of the parts company. I need to do more research as to when the Piave bike company was first founded)

20230209_033133~2.jpg

Earlier badge:
PIAVE.jpg

(Photo credit:?)

download.jpeg

(Photo credit: Vintage Bicycle Workshop on facebook)

Last edited:
Atlas; ? (est. ? I assume "DITTA RESTA RINO" means Rino Resta Company. If my presumed Atlas bike is of the same marque, then it would seem that Atlas bikes were made at least by the 1940s)

20230210_090251~2.jpg

Last edited:
-----

TORPADO -

this nameplate posted the other day at BF

since it is flat that would seem to eliminate head & seat tube mountings

flat ones made for stem mounting usually have a hole for the stem expander bolt which this plate lacks

two fittings on backside make one wonder where it would have been mounted

p1010327_1fadaabd66dc0045825c7071f15653ca409a54dc.jpg

p1010326_62bffa7fb0c7bcff965cc7d45913c796836e25f9.jpg

-----

-----

TORPADO -

this nameplate posted the other day at BF

since it is flat that would seem to eliminate head & seat tube mountings

flat ones made for stem mounting usually have a hole for the stem expander bolt which this plate lacks

two fittings on backside make one wonder where it would have been mounted

View attachment 1784490

View attachment 1784491

-----
That is interesting. It is threaded in the more raised section and not the other which may have just been for alignment purposes when fit.

All my stem badges are flat with the bolt hole, so that badge and my Invicta badge are similar in that they have no hole; but the Invicta has no threaded area and is not a flat bore as shown on the unthreaded area of the Torpado badge. The Invicta badge is "flanged" with an open area under the raised section, thus my confusion as to how or where it would mount.
The Torpado badge could have easily been fender mounted, or as you stated, possibly mounted to an accessory.

I still have no idea as to how or where the Invicta badge mounted without having any threads. I do not subscribe as a member on BF; but you are welcome to add the Invicta badge to their conversation with photo and/or link.

I am going to ask some Italian friends if they have any idea where the Invicta badge would mount and I will pose the same question about the Torpado badge as well.

Edit: for some reason (temporary brain death maybe!) I noted that between my 2 Torpado badges (post #80) there was a geographical difference (aside from Lat. & Long. lines); but the one with grid lines has the obvious map outline of Italy just as this strange badge does. It is quite clear, and I think I was mistaking it for a different badge image that was stuck in my head when I typed its description. I feel like a fool to any who reads it, but of course I am unable to edit after 24 hours (I wish there was no time limit) has elapsed since I knew I made a mistake upon looking at my entry a couple days later.

Last edited:
-----

regarding the oytoy headplates -

one quickly notices several "stock" shapes appearing over and over again

many/most must have been produced by a single company

have you ever explored who they were and what their years of operation were?

have no clues in that regard and have never seen it discussed...

might seem to fit in with the theme of the thread

the sort of subject which may have been discussed on one of the Italian language fora

-----

Back