When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JC Higgins Freightkiner

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Huntingtonbikeguru

Look Ma, No Hands!
Good morning Cabers! Had a client bring all the parts in for this 1960’s JC Higgins Freightliner for a preservation and rebuild. Can anyone give me the year of manufacture based on the numbers from underneath the bottom bracket. Very cool bike with all the original parts down to the tires. All the lenses are intact and the front lights came in with batteries installed. Horn needs some work yet.

IMG_5478.jpeg

IMG_5479.jpeg

IMG_5480.jpeg

IMG_5483.jpeg

IMG_5481.jpeg

IMG_5482.jpeg

IMG_1828.jpeg

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1826.jpeg

I have this same bike.Hence I already had it marked in this book. In the Middleweight forum, there is a separate Flightliner/ Spaceliner group.

However, you will notice that the chain guard with the bike is the ‘59 style. Brings up some questions. The 59 headlight / Tank is totally different 🤔

IMG_1829.jpeg

Last edited:
Uncle Guru:
Rivnut got it right: what you're working on there is a 1960 Deluxe Flightliner (model # 4606). He is also right that the chain guard is mismatched. The chain guard should be like the one in the pic below. That is my 1960 Equipped Flightliner (the saddle ain't stock). Have fun!

flightliner4.jpg

I know after restoring and collecting 1st generation Rivieras that there were many mid production year changes in automobiles. No reason that the bicycle industry didn’t do this as well. Perhaps someone can come up with Fall/Winter catalog showing bicycles. I doubt that the Christmas “ Wish Bbok” would be correct. In the Wish Book the bikes shown are usually the bikes for the following year.

Back