When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mike Taylor Mike1484 Responding To Post Regarding My Ebay Chainguards For sale

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Meh, people can agree or disagree, buy or not buy. There will always be a comment section, there will always be and always has been naysayers and unfortunately, due to the internet, we now get to hear about them all the time. When I see a price I think is too high, I keep scrolling.....there will always be a better deal and ebay is not where those are.

So, I am not trying to beat a dead horse here. Just trying to figure out something. So Tomsjack is not a real person posting, it is a bot that is controlled by a moderator of this site whatever that means. Is that correct. It seems I was not the only one aware of this. Do most people know this here, is it in the terms of use. I ask because I feel kind of foolish that the first time I join a chat type group on the world wide web and post something to what I thought was a forum full of real people, I am responding to a bot/moderator??? not a real user. Is it wrong to ask why would a moderator would not post something under a heading of moderator or something, or is it only a handful of people like myself that think that Tomsjack is not a moderator, while everyone else knows this?

So, I am not trying to beat a dead horse here. Just trying to figure out something. So Tomsjack is not a real person posting, it is a bot that is controlled by a moderator of this site whatever that means. Is that correct. It seems I was not the only one aware of this. Do most people know this here, is it in the terms of use. I ask because I feel kind of foolish that the first time I join a chat type group on the world wide web and post something to what I thought was a forum full of real people, I am responding to a bot/moderator??? not a real user. Is it wrong to ask why would a moderator would not post something under a heading of moderator or something, or is it only a handful of people like myself that think that Tomsjack is not a moderator, while everyone else knows this?
Most of us are well aware of the good ol' TomsJack robot but since we're all aware of it, we just kinda shrug it off and move on and it hasnt really ever hurt anyone since the bot is posting actual listings and not scams if that makes sense. Dangerous? no. Annoying? Maybe a tad.....

...but yeah, its a bot and not a real person and not a moderator of anything, just a fake user who posts ads.

Right off hand, I'd say not to spend your time worrying about what other people say or do.
If you sell a lot of stuff and are in the market, how long it sits sets the price. If you think people are not buying because of what someone wrote here.... I seriously doubt it.
Now if it's a personality issue, that's different. But many people here pay waaaaay too much for parts and never say a word. They keep the prices up and no one is any wiser. Many people here will also share their buying experiences, but the negative aspects are usually personal issues. How many people need that or WANT that part is how long it will sit.
Crowds for bike parts follow the ages and incomes of the generations that want them. When that crowd wanes, the prices fall and the next generations favorite bikes take over.
BMX is now getting real hot.

@mike1117

I’m not sure how many people are aware of the Tomsjack bot. Probably only the ones who saw that thread I quoted in my previous post. The site , like all forums, always has a number of bots on it at times. The Tomsjack bot has always just posted seemingly random eBay ads. The moderator, @Dave Stromberger , changed the way the bot functions. Now the link posted by the bot benefits the CABE rather than whoever did before. Click on the link that I posted in my previous post for a better explanation of what all this means. Perhaps Dave could weigh in and explain it better. But Dave isn’t the one controlling what the bot posts, only changing how the information it collects is used.

Again nothing is personal about the bot. But the other responses to that post were real members. I’m not aware of any bots posting anything other than links, and do not post any readable text.

The bot is controlled by someone else who is an eBay Affiliate, meaning that they have a contract with eBay to share links to items on the site. If someone clicks through their link and buys that item, or anything else on eBay within a 24hr window, they will get a small % reward. TheCABE is an affilate too, which helps to keep the lights on. So this guy apparently has a bot that is posting to not just theCABE, but to many sites for all kinds of collectibles all over the internet. I found him posting to a John Deere site too. What he's doing was over-riding our efforts here, effectively stealing from theCABE. But I fixed the software so the credit still goes to theCABE. Since his selections are not off topic, and sometimes even helpful, I let him continue. He works for me now! (evil laugh)

I also did not know about tomsjack, but may have read some of those non-Schwinn posts (don’t really remember).

It is interesting that the assumption was that such posts must have had something to do with criticisms of high prices.

I too have assumptions that that whole forum mainly has to do with sharing information; i.e., letting other members know about something that they might be interested in?

Last edited:
Back