When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Sliver King Quill Stem Issue

-

CCBAM

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Okay, today I can post! Hooray... Brighter minds please give your thoughtful suggestions..

I have a Monark Silver King with a quill stem issue. I've read everything on here as to how to remove it, however, my bike mechanic will NOT use heat... His suggested solution is cutting it off. He works on new bikes and is looking for direction. Anyone's assistance is appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

Attachments

• Monark Silver King.jpg
    Monark Silver King.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Monark Silver King Quill Stem.jpg
    Monark Silver King Quill Stem.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 110
Keep soaking it. Keep working it. Keep in mind these frames and forks are very brittle. If you can get the stem in a vice and slowly and gently work the fork back and forth you should be able to get it loose. If push comes to shove, sacrifice the stem as it is much more easily replaced than the frame/fork. If he wants to cut it out you still need a solution on how your going to get the part removed that remains inside the fork so keep that in mind as well. Good luck and BE PATIENT!

Get a new mechanic.
Try using a penetrant called Kroil.keep soaking as mentioned.i wouldn't suggest cutting it either.too much can go wrong.it takes TIME,something a paid mechanic probably won't want to invest.

Is it "fused" in there?Will it move back and forth?Or up and down some?Is the bolt out?Did you try screwing the bolt into wedge and hitting head with hammer?..

I concur with Bikesnbuses. If the stem bolt has been removed, shake the bike up and down, can you hear the rattling of the wedge nut inside the steering tube? If you can't hear the tumbling of the nut…then that's the culprit! As Bikesnbuses suggests "drop the bolt back into the stem and screw it into the wedge nut (just a few threads) and hit the bolt head with a hammer.

However if you can hear the nut tumbling around inside the steering tube…then the stem and the steering tube are fused together with rust. Nothing to do but follow the above instructions and "SOAK IT" in a bath of penetrating oil for days.

Whatever you do, DO NOT CUT! That could become a bigger nightmare then what you already have.

Back