When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 26” Schwinn bmx bike project

-
Gel seats are a comfy choice and finding the right one can be time consuming. Some of the 90’s early 2000’s from Trek have been good. Look for the Bontrager name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lady version of Brooks saddles will have. “S” denoting lady version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could use a quilted Troxel seat, especially if you're going for a 1970s bmx look.

Lots of choices for laidback seat posts. Most bmx posts were 7/8". You may be limited by your tube diameter. Search "old school bmx laidback seat posts" on ebay for options.

Also, rather than pay huge money for vintage bmx cruiser bars (if you can find them) or use repop stuff, find some used Honda SL70 bars or equivalent. Very 1970s bmx moto. Have used them on a few projects.

I'd also score a cebe or slimline double clamp stem. They're available for relatively cheap money.

I personally only ride new rubber. There are a few suppliers making a reissue Comp III skinwall tire. They are great in the dirt and pretty good on pavement. They come in 26" x 1.75" for the rear and 2.125 for front. That model is an early 80s style, but you probably won't find a Comp II cruiser tire for less than the cost of a human arm and leg.

Search "Kenda K50 Comp III skinwall tires"

I'd go with 26" Araya 7C hoops laced to Shimano, ACS, Suzue, Sunshine large flange hubs. The 26" Araya 7x hoops are more plentiful (and stronger), but date from about 1980 and newer. The 7C would be more appropriate for a 70s build.

Get yourself some Preston Petty or OGK MACH grips, an Ashtabula, Sugino or Takagi MX OPC.

I'd go with a Shimano center pull rear caliper and a Dia Compe "red dot" straight lever.

Or none of the above. Enjoy.

Last edited:
I ride Kenda K-rad tires on my klunker. They're fatter (26x2.30) and have a square knobby pattern.

Work great on trails, and smooth on street, and last a long time.

61cMuN3SfsL._SL1200_.jpg

Thank you!!! I have been looking for a tire that look aggressive but should roll smooth. This is it. And it’s fatter! Perfect. I just ordered a pair on eBay. Thanks again.
You're welcome. I've had them on my DX klunker for over a year. The bike sees more streets than trails (sadly,) and still have a lot of tread. You should be happy with them...

Hey all. Here is the start of my next project. It’s going to be a 26” bmx inspired Schwinn. I’ve never really messed with the modern day bmx stuff, but it really interests me. I’m having V brake mounts put on the frame and forks and and going to run profile 3pc cranks, SE racing wheels and some other cool stuff. Should be a pretty cool bike for an old guy trying to be a kid again. Here’s the frame and fork I’m starting with. It’s an 82 Chicago frame and the forks are from an 82 women’s cruiser. I just found a guard from another Caber and it’s on the way. More pics to come as I progress. Any tips or hints would be appreciated. I’m kinda stuck on what tire to run. I want a tire that will go in the dirt and be fairly smooth on the street. I’m also looking for some ideas on a laid back seat post (since I’m 6’3”) and suggestions on a comfy saddle that will look correct for the style of bike I’m going for.

View attachment 727637
View attachment 727638
If you need any custom clunker parts made specifically for the schwinn frame, check with Mr tick on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Mr.TickBicycleParts/

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Back