When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help:: Columbia ladies bike dating

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-

whizzer kid

I live for the CABE
Have this bike almost done but would like to know exact year it was made . Serial # is. M78258
Thanks

DA29CA8A-C0C6-418F-86FB-5AE8B7A22615.jpeg

4E1AFC3D-0C6B-4B58-86E7-6320B44DB394.jpeg

From what I see, 1915 or later on into the 1920's. Possibly even as late as early 1930's because those fenders and chain guard design were used into early 1930's.

Here is some historical information about the Westfield Manufacturing Company:

In 1914, the main office of Pope Manufacturing are relocated to Westfield and in 1915 the Pope Manufacturing Co. files for bankruptcy. The company is reorganized once again and renamed, The Westfield Manufacturing Company, the “successors to the Pope Manufacturing Company.”

By 1933, Westfield Manufacturing becomes a subsidiary of The Torrington Company out of Torrington, Connecticut and in 1952 Westfield begins production on a line of steel school furniture in an attempt to augment sales during the off-season of bicycle sales.

In 1960 an independent corporation is formed and by 1961 the company is once again renamed the Columbia Manufacturing Company only to file bankruptcy again in 1991. Ny 1993, though, Columbia emerges from bankruptcy and limited bicycle production is resumed.

Maybe 1934? except for the chain ring sprocket, that looks more like a Murray product; standard half-inch pitch chain and components may have been swapped, for convenience, or parts availability. Or it could mean that it was so old ~1921 or so, that the double-D drive, with coarse 20-treads per inch components had to be replaced.
see the Westfield serial numbers thread. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/westfield-frame-numbers-1933-1945.100743

Last edited:
Maybe 1934? except for the chain ring sprocket, that looks more like a Murray product; a standard half-inch pitch chain and components may have been swapped, for convenience, or parts availability.
Yes had 28” metal clad wheels with ND C hub rear. Swapped all that out for these 700c set up. Cause it is going to be rode every day for a commuter. I was guessing 30-33 . Since the ND C hub was on it .

Hi @whizzer kid

As @Archie Sturmer said, M78258 is mid 1934.

I would be very interested to know if there is a second marking on the BB, an A with a single number between 1 and 9? And also confirmation if this number is not there. (I'm guessing there is no number).

Why? Because this identifies the year and month that the bike frame was made. In the case of yours, I am especially interested, because this dating system starts halfway through 1934, and I would like to tie down the date better. Your bike is either one of the first with this numbering system, or one of the last before they started.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Adrian

That is a mid to late 40s style badge. Plus it says Westfild MFG. So it its after 1917~.

Back