When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Triplspeed Conversion kits?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

gregv

Finally riding a big boys bike
hello all

checking out a ND "Triplspeed" conversion for the model D hub, and wondering if anyone has any experience with these or can share any relevant details worth considering before buying one.

Did they ever make these in 1/2 pitch? Because it looks like there'd be some custom fabbing to do to make a 1/2" pitch cog for it.

I found a pic of a cutaway of one of these:

http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/2747.htm

and it look similar to the Bendix manual 2spd I have, at least as far as the planetary gears are concerned.

cheers

greg v.

all the ones that I have seen, have been 1/2inch pitch, there is one on eBAY now that Bob U. has up for sale, do a search fo NewDeparture, you will find it, I have dealt with Bob, he is the greatest,

olschbp

do you mean this one?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370181426159

looks like 1" pitch to me, but I could be wrong; here's a ND model D with a 1/2" pitch for comparison:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Departure-Rear-Hub_W0QQitemZ140311230632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item140311230632&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

gv

I think I have seen replacement sprockets in 1/2 and 1in pitch for the triple speed setup on ebay so while they may have came with 1/2 in the kits, you could make it fit either.

The Triplespeed came out in '49, when mfgrs were starting to phase out 1" pitch based drivetrain, so skiptooth cogs for it are harder to find. But then it was really meant to go on modern, new era bikes of the day, since people then wanted to look forward, instead of utilizing the frames available before the war. (back then it was all about modernism, unlike today where we actually like prewar bikes!:D)

thanks for the info guys.

I'm wondering if the original kits didn't come with both 1" and 1/2" sprockets?

At any rate, any idea on how much wider this conversion kit makes a stock hub? Looking at the photos, you'd think it adds on quite a bit, but I would have to assume that it fits most bikes without tweaking the dropouts.

cheers

greg v.

Yes i had to spread my dropouts at least an inch for my DD, and the Triplespeed is at least as wide if not more.

Yes i had to spread my dropouts at least an inch for my DD, and the Triplespeed is at least as wide if not more.

Yeah mine requires a little extra effort to get in and out of the dropouts too. Without the locking washers it will slide in easily though.

Anyone know when they stopped making the conversion kits?
I don't see too many of them.

triplspeed hubs

found this old thread and i was wondering how many people here have triplspeed hubs. have 2 one in my monark and one in my rollfast

Back