When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie needs help, frame ID, please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
From the beginning through 1951 the serial numbers are under the crank. The 1952 into 1970 numbers were on the left rear drop out. The wheels will have S2 rims.

Thank you again, GTs58. The wheels on the bike for sure are not S2 rims. It does have a Bendix brake arm. I quickly looked at the LH rear drop out and didn't see anything. I'll remove some paint next time I am out there. Overall I am happy with the bike. Now for disassembly and paint stripping. K

I finally had a chance to look for the serial number. It's under the crank. The bike was made in 1948, Dec 1st. I picked up a correct single bolt stem.

IMG_20231226_123951595_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231226_131353266_HDR.jpg

dasberger, I just came across your for sale ad from 2021. That is where I discovered the bike should have a single bolt stem. That was a very neat bike you had. I forgot, I also found a correct chain guard.

I finally had a chance to look for the serial number. It's under the crank. The bike was made in 1948, Dec 1st. I picked up a correct single bolt stem.

View attachment 1963097

View attachment 1963099

Your bike was actually built in 1949. The dates for the serial numbers are the dates the serial number was stamped on the frame component. The stamped component was then used sometime later in building the frame. Any December stamped component was definitely used in the next year's production. Are you going to build that back up close to original?

I'm planning to make it at least a close representation. I picked up chrome fenders for the time being. It won't be perfect, but should look nice. For sure it will be going back to it's original red color. That makes sense about stamping the numbers early. Just like car production. As always, thanks for your input. It's appreciated.

IMG_20231226_123353612_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231226_123413240_HDR.jpg

Back