When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paramount, Superior, New World.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Same situation with the early October 53 introduction of the 1954 Jaguar that were said to be ready for shipment. Frames pulled off the line with October serials, modifications were done to the frame and not one example has shown up that was built in 1953. The earliest rear hub date that has shown up on those October serial numbered frames was 54-1. All thru the post war production the next years models started off with serial numbers that were stamped in November and some in late October.

On Miq's New World list there is one B serial numbered NW Racer. All the other 1939 examples have C serial numbers. The literature always hits the news stands months before the actual product is available. Schwinn stated that the Jag was ready for shipment in the October Reporter but that didn't happen since the bikes weren't built yet.

1953_jagad.jpg

I wonder if the publication got out front a little bit too far with these bikes, before all of the parts had been sourced or before the bike had been fully prepared for production. I've never seen an actual New World tourist with the combination of equipment shown in those 1938 illustrations. It could be they are just artist's conceptions of the bike, but it's very different from the pre-war New World tourists that I've seen or that are on the chart.

The illustrations have the old style rear forks, heavy slat fender braces, painted flat type fenders, chromed with paint trim chain guards, long reach road bike stems , and one-hole clover sprockets. The seat stays appear to be a very thin "pencil" type stay. So some of the features do turn up, but I've never seen a bike turn up that matches those drawings.

I have a ladies carcass out in the shed, that is a 39 model with the early rear fork ends and the flat type fenders.
The chainguard is entirely painted though, unlike the chrome and painted panel versions that the Paramount/Superior used.
I’ll check it’s serial number to see where it is on the chart, but it is one of the earliest New World models that I have seen.
Unfortunately, it got parted out, before I got it, so it’s more of a project bike now.

I have a ladies carcass out in the shed, that is a 39 model with the early rear fork ends and the flat type fenders.
The chainguard is entirely painted though, unlike the chrome and painted panel versions that the Paramount/Superior used.
I’ll check it’s serial number to see where it is on the chart, but it is one of the earliest New World models that I have seen.
Unfortunately, it got parted out, before I got it, so it’s more of a project bike now.

Even if it was parted out, that's still a step in the right direction at finding stuff. It does not look like any of the bikes on the list had the flat fenders, and the early ones seem to have been found with wire or no braces. Finding a set of flat fenders with the heavy braces would be a nice addition to show where things may have changed. Maybe yours is on the list already and the fenders were just not added to the notes section. But if it's not on there, adding it would be a nice addition.

Last edited:
Here’s a few pictures of what I have from the bike.

45F6D329-B67F-4B32-A0C0-C16EEC134BDB.jpeg

570F9100-512C-4D74-B81A-97F86910E2CE.jpeg

26760530-4A28-4DC1-BD65-24F6B81A59AD.jpeg

FAFDC011-AEF0-416E-9400-96B360E6AE8C.jpeg

05F57C40-AFB6-4E3D-BFD5-34ACF9B500F5.jpeg

I also got the headset. It was the typical type used by Schwinn at that time, so I should be able to build it back up, without too much trouble.
Especially if I just build it as a simple coaster brake model, which is the plan at this time.

View attachment 1847080

View attachment 1847079

View attachment 1847078

View attachment 1847077

View attachment 1847076
I also got the headset. It was the typical type used by Schwinn at that time, so I should be able to build it back up, without too much trouble.
Especially if I just build it as a simple coaster brake model, which is the plan at this time.

That one is one the list, and it's interesting that it has the early fenders but the wire braces. It's in really nice shape and should make a nice bike.

View attachment 1847080

View attachment 1847079

View attachment 1847078

View attachment 1847077

View attachment 1847076
More than sixty years ago I too, wanted to build up a three piece crank New World frame. In my case I wanted to build my first deraileur bike. I had the frame, but for the life of me I could not find, or order from our Schwinn distributor a headset that would fit. I do not remember what exactly was the problem. I seem to remember the cup diameter was smaller than a current (1960) Schwinn headset. I think it used #73 retainers on both the top and bottom? In any case, I could not figure out what I needed. So during my visit to the Schwinn factory for my Service Training I brought in the frame and asked Keith Kingbay the head of the Parts Division at the time. He took one look at it, and said come with me kid. We walked into the warehouse, and he handed me a special "small sized" headset, and then said you better take this Schwinn tubular fork along also because he was not sure if the lower race size was different. That was the beginning to my first Schwinn Road Bike. I have a very early Schwinn Dealer counter display headset, but I'm not sure what models it was used on?

John

The 1896 Chicago Cycle Show “The World” bike mentioned on the first page of the magazine article at only 16 lbs is crazy. That would be one of the lightest bikes we’ve ever seen and is amazingly light even by todays standards.

I also find it interesting that they list “Youth Hostel touring” as an appropriate market for the lightweight tourist New Worlds. I didn’t realize that was a thing back in the late 30s.

My 41 New World has smaller bearings on the bottom (crown race) side too. I will try to dig into my notes tonight when I get home from work to verify.

Back