When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Public service announcement ..Safety first everyone

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I don't know what you guys are worried about. 30+ years and this has never let me down

27031318.jpg

THANK YOU for this topic-can't be over stressed-SAFETY FIRST! A moment's laziness could cost you your sight. I have had two pieces of metal (small like a grain of sand) cut out of my eyes (stuck in the cornea-outter cover/skin of eye). Can't believe I let it happen a second time-felt like a fool. Never again! Be safe!

Brother Bikesnbuses:
Thanks for starting this thread as a reminder to all of us. I try to be conscientious in using a technique I picked up in construction safety work. Before you start a task, 1) stop and think about what could go wrong, 2) figure out what to do to prevent injury if it does go wrong, 3) implement the preventive measure. If you make this a habit it can be a very powerful tool. Have fun!

Ok as a few people on here know about an incident I had while wire wheeling a New Departure 2 speed cable "adjustable" end .. Ive used a wire wheel and polishing wheel for years and have had stuff slip and scare me etc.. I never went out of my way to wear safety eye wear..If it was convenient,I would wear it..
Until one day a strand/piece of the wire wheel come off and stick into my face about 1" below my eye..after I pulled it out of my face..I was done..eye and most likely a face shield when grinding,wire wheeling and polishing.

Well about 2 weeks ago I was wire wheeling said cable and the adjustable housing caught on the wheel ,wrapped around the wheel and he small L bracket on the other end whipped the living hell out of me..It got my ;right upper arm, chest ,FOREARM and stomach really good ..(Im STILL healing..) and I told everyone "WOW,It didnt hit me in my face!But DAMN,Im glad I had my face shield on because tha could've been disastrous if it had!"

So fast forward to yesterday. My friend and I were cleaning/moving stuff in my garage (To make room for MORE bike stuff..🙄😄) and I moved my polisher/wire wheel stand and grabbed my face shield to stick it back on the stand and saw this...Its partly broken through

View attachment 1852391

View attachment 1852392

Moral of the story? An ounce of prevention is.. well a hell of alot better than a trip to the ER with a busted mouth or lost eye! BELIEVE me,it hit me with enough force that where it hit on the shield wouldve done some serious damage to my mouth/teeth! Stay safe everyone!
And for the morbidly curious and arent scared of pictures of fat guys with bad boo-boos..Ill send you pictures of the damage..🤢😄
I was am aircraft mechanic for 42 years. I lost count of the number of times safety glasses have saved me over the years.
I also wear them to mow the lawn and use my weed wacker.

I had a 20" or so v shaped spoke that I was buffing for a high wheel on my huge 5 HP industrial buffer get wrapped up in the wheel once and whip me, that was fun. I am much better at wearing safety glasses now than I was when I was young and invincible.

Always, always, keep your beer to one side of the wire wheel/grinder. If the part hooks or breaks, you could spill your beer. Tragedy, I know, but, it happens. My garage helper, the 40 pound psychopath English Setter, always knocks a beer she discovers on her level over, to assist me with finishing the beer, so, keeping the beer high, keeps the floor, and the dog, dry. An important safety measure, for sure. Who wants a wet floor?
The face mask I use has a hole so I can get a smoke into my pie hole through it. Never, ever, underestimate how good a smoke is when the wheel is blowing the second hand smoke away from the mask in front, and you get a nice, clean drag from inside the mask.

Ted

IMG_1104.jpeg

Back