When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RARE TITAN built Western Flyer BUILD!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Check out Sears Parts Direct because they have the same frame but under the name called the Grizzly & another bike, they also have some parts too (Some are the Substitution some are the original part & number.) like the chainwheel & guard.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...8/1303200/00061166/00001?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...8/1303200/00062227/00001?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

Thanks, but I've got the rear deraileur kind of freed up, but I'm dipping it and the front deraileur (what the hell?) in an electrolyte bath and they are taking a bath as I type, along with other parts. Wish I did this before. As for Sears having ANY Western Flyer parts, its because they bought out Western Auto around 1987 I think. Then they sold them off to Advance Auto and there marked the end. I wouldn't trust present day Sears parts, because unlike the American and Japanese parts on this bike, the ones today are made over in Red China. I have dealt with repairing enough modern deraileurs to know. But thanks for the gesture anyway.

Personally, I think this being a GT built bike is a rumor, its back to being a Titan. For a couple of reasons:

1) Some very helpful guys on Vintagebmx.com informed me that if it was a GT, it would have the GT emblem stamped on the frame somewhere, regaurdless of where it is sold.

2) I looked very closely and found GENUINE Titan BADGED bikes in the back of the catalogs in the limited quantity bikes section.

Last edited:
No problem, one of the main things I wanted you to see is they have the owners manual unless they are availible elswhere online.

No problem, one of the main things I wanted you to see is they have the owners manual unless they are availible elswhere online.

Hold the phone! Owner's Manual? Missed that! I'll have to check that again, but I'll also order some new cables and cable covers if they have them, surely those are still good.

Oh, and I worked today from about 9:00 AM - 11:30 PM (UofL v. New Mexico!). 9:00-10:30 I was pickin, and I had great success! Nothing to do with the Titan, though. But I got back and pulled the parts from soaking over night. The chaingaurd is naked, as I figured it would be with all of that rust. But not all is lost! My friend suggested going over it with steel wool and clear coating it for a "brushed look". I like that idea! The rear deraileur is being taken apart for a complete rebuild, the front deraileur got tossed in my scrap pile. I also dipped my Huffy Silver Jet tail light bucket. Sadly, I'm afraid there may be very little metal left to go off of in the morning. Well, after church anyway. I can't smell like rust in church! :eek:

Anyway, I got a lot of stuff done. I also was cleaning out the garage and well, kinda showed off the bikes too. I couldn't resist, there were people around. I'm notorious for that! :p

Anyway, I digress. Back to the Titan. I'm informed that the bike is simply a junk bike from the 90s, GT, Titan, "Ugo-Hapan" Chinese or what ever it is. Well, I have confirmed it is a Titan, first and foremost, exact year unknown, but the proof is in the ads and on the way.

Secondly, this bike is historic and by that, let me explain. Its kind of the last of its kind in a way. For those who are old enough, Western Auto was in every small town in America in seemed. My dad had fond memeories of living in E-Town (local for "Elizabethtown") Kentucky and in there going with his dad into the Western Auto store. The faded old painted ad from the store still remains on a building in the E-Town Sqaure, we pass it whenever we are visiting family. Everybody remembers the store and most remember it fondly. It was even a part of America's pop culture, as a Western Auto store can be seen in the Back To The Future movies as Marty is chased around by Biff in 1955 and as he tries to get back to the future when the lightning hits the clock tower. In the second movie, it was Western Auto that repaired Biff's car from the manure crash and in the end of this movie and the beginning of the third, the store is seen again. Then, in the early 1990s, NASCAR fans had their share of exposure to the store on the hood of Darrell Waltrip's Chevrolet Lumina race car.

For us bicycle collectors, riders, and enthusaists, the term "Western Auto" or "Western Flyer" bring some other memories to mind, such iconic bikes like the X-53, Golden Flyer, Cosmic Flyer, Buzz Bike, Wildcat, and Ram Rod just to name a few. In 2003 the remains of the battered Western Auto chain closed their doors as a company after the buyout from Advance Auto Parts.

A lower end Titan? Maybe. But it does mark the end of an era. Its like finding a 1961 Desoto. Valuable? No, not much. Historic? Yes, in it's own sort of way.

Last edited:
The same with a lot of the old US stores but I have only been around for their last 20 of those stores lives, your Western Flyer, my dads and I think that BMX in the other thread are the only ones from the 1990's I have seen but I didn't see either of those bikes at that Sears Parts site like yours is.

The brake levers, stem, handlebars, frame, and chain ring, are all either done or almost done. I was about done with buffing the frame, and that high gloss black paint came through and bright red swirls began to pop again. This thing screams 1990!

Cool, can't wait to see any future pics.

Last week I saw a Murray bike with the same frame too so I guess one company made a frame that two other companies liked so much that they copied it.

Cool, can't wait to see any future pics.

Last week I saw a Murray bike with the same frame too so I guess one company made a frame that two other companies liked so much that they copied it.

GT among many other high end bikes were cloned by many overseas companies I hear. I am unsure of any Titan clones, however. I would like to see this Murray if you have pics. GT did have similar frames, but the top tube on those were a bit longer and extended past the seat tube.

I will look tomorrow when I get the time since I am
this little phone right now.

Edit:Here is two pics of a frame I saw.
$(KGrHqFHJBkE9r6,rl!(BPb2cq7T7Q~~60_57.jpg
$(KGrHqJHJCwE9!,ipSq5BPb2cUIZvQ~~60_57.jpg

Last edited:
Very similar, but what Murray didn't do was copy the twin tubes on the rear. If you look closely, those are curved and mine are straight as a tack. Also, the serial number is on the headtube, while mine is on the top of the bottom bracket.

Back