When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saving yard art

-

Majdotkool

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am sure that a few of you have come across bikes being mistreated in this cruel kind of way, yard art...
While out riding the other day I noticed this bike in a yard. The pic is courtesy of Google maps since I was a bit uncomfortable of stopping and taking my own, seems a bit stalkish. No skeleton now, I think the basket has flowers.
Can anyone tell what kind of bike this is? Looks to be a pretty nice Schwinn to me.
Anyone ever have luck knocking on the door and asking if they wanted to sell?

33568DB8-FBFC-4113-A493-9B54117F9CAA.png

I was out looking at Christmas decorations years ago and spotted an old bike covered with lights. I wrote down the house number and went back in the Spring. The bike was no longer visible, but I knocked and the guy said it was in the backyard and I could have it for $75 but the lights went with it. So I ended up with a boys Elgin complete with a tank and rear carrier.

Certainly doesn’t hurt to stop and politely introduce yourself. If you find that the bike is something you want, then let them know you collect older bikes and that you would like to bring the bike back to life and give it the attention it deserves.
As others said, offer to replace it with something else.
A couple years ago I scored a complete’53 Higgins Colorflow that way.

I just stopped at a place I drive by daily for work and asked about a girls 24” with a long spring saddle that has been leaned against a barn for a long long time as hard art. Welp. It was my lucky day. Guy was very friendly and we talked for nearly an hour about this that and the other for them to come to the conclusion that they would sell it for what I offered. It was great. Give it a shot. Worst they can say is no, and then in that case give them your number and tell them to call if they ever sell it.

I saw this one in a neighbor's yard down the street a little ways from my house coming home from the lake.

It was inside a fenced yard & 'round these parts you don't just go walkin' in a fenced yard.

I left my name & telephone # in their mailbox & expressed my interest in it.
About a day or so later I got a call & turns out I knew the guy! I got it for $25...I am not looking forward to breakin' it all loose. The stem bolt already snapped in the stem after soaking it w/ PB...save for another knuckle-bustin' day...

I saw this one in a neighbor's yard down the street a little ways from my house coming home from the lake.

View attachment 1686752

It was inside a fenced yard & 'round these parts you don't just go walkin' in a fenced yard.

I left my name & telephone # in their mailbox & expressed my interest in it.
About a day or so later I got a call & turns out I knew the guy! I got it for $25...I am not looking forward to breakin' it all loose. The stem bolt already snapped in the stem after soaking it w/ PB...save for another knuckle-bustin' day...

View attachment 1686755

View attachment 1686756

View attachment 1686757

Looks like that might be a 1945 DX.

Back