When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn on EBay -- Is this a good buy?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Shipping 15 different parts would seem a little tougher. But it's your bike why don't you offer it here on the cabe whole for what you have in it. Never know may get your money back.

Thanks, that is a good thought.

Thanks, that is a good thought.
Bummer.
I grabbed the eBay pics before they're gone for future reference.
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg
s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-7.jpg
s-l1600-8.jpg
s-l1600-9.jpg
s-l1600-10.jpg
s-l1600-11.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

thats a beautiful bike very expensive to put togeather like that . I believe you got a good buy . Have fun with it

unfortunately, the rear rack was removed from the bike and was packed in the bottom of one of the shipping boxes and it got badly damaged in shipment.

Don't know what I will do.

But I think I can recoup most of my costs by just parting out this once beautiful bike.

unfortunately, the rear rack was removed from the bike and was packed in the bottom of one of the shipping boxes and it got badly damaged in shipment.

Don't know what I will do.

But I think I can recoup most of my costs by just parting out this once beautiful bike.

I have been in your situation and most of us have been as well or will be at some point if you are active in the hobby and have bikes shipped. It's always a risk if you're not picking up. However, from my experience, I suggest you take a step back and give yourself at least a week to process your disappointment. Parting the bike now would be more of a knee jerk reaction, an emotional decision, than if you come to the same conclusion a week from now with a clearer, rational mindset. It's a beautiful bike with or without a perfect rack and there are talented members here that could likely remedy your problem. That said, I hear your words and I feel for you. Hang in there.

I have been in your situation and most of us have been as well or will be at some point if you are active in the hobby and have bikes shipped. It's always a risk if you're not picking up. However, from my experience, I suggest you take a step back and give yourself at least a week to process your disappointment. Parting the bike now would be more of a knee jerk reaction, an emotional decision, than if you come to the same conclusion a week from now with a clearer, rational mindset. It's a beautiful bike with or without a perfect rack and there are talented members here that could likely remedy your problem. That said, I hear your words and I feel for you. Hang in there.

Thanks for the thoughtful and good advice.

I took the rack this morning to the automotive body shop that has done paint work for me in the past on some old cars.

I was surprised at how much they want to straighten the rack and then carefully color match the paint. Very expensive.

Hello,

What a beautiful bike. I would not get discouraged about that rack. Buy another rack that is straight (used or new) and look for someone else to paint the rack. Several times I took a chain guard to NAPA auto parts, had the paint matched electronically from the guard and then they supply you with an aerosol can with a special nozzle and it lays the paint down real nice. I wouldn't do a complete bike that way but you may be very surprised how good that is. I did it on several small bicycle parts in the past. If you want to sell the bent rack I may be interested.

Thanks for the thoughtful and good advice.

I took the rack this morning to the automotive body shop that has done paint work for me in the past on some old cars.

I was surprised at how much they want to straighten the rack and then carefully color match the paint. Very expensive.

First of all, bummer. We all feel for you.

Some thoughts:
  • Have you contacted the seller? He's reputable and will likely attempt to make things right here.
  • The rack can likely be saved, I've gotten some pretty wonked-up 6-hole racks looking good over the years.
  • Do you know who painted the bike originally? Or what kind of paint is on it? Should be relatively easy to match.
  • Feel free to send me a private message here, I can give you names of a couple of hobby guys that might help you out for much less than an auto shop.
It's a good looking bike, you got a good deal on it before the rack fiasco. You may still come out ahead on this with a little cooperation from the seller and some help from the Cabe community.

Hello,

What a beautiful bike. I would not get discouraged about that rack. Buy another rack that is straight (used or new) and look for someone else to paint the rack. Several times I took a chain guard to NAPA auto parts, had the paint matched electronically from the guard and then they supply you with an aerosol can with a special nozzle and it lays the paint down real nice. I wouldn't do a complete bike that way but you may be very surprised how good that is. I did it on several small bicycle parts in the past. If you want to sell the bent rack I may be interested.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have had an O'Reilly store create touchup paint in the past for an old car and it worked pretty well.

However, I think the rack for this bike would need to be professionally painted. Otherwise, it would detract from the rest of the bike. Even if professionally painted, it is somewhat of a gamble as to whether everything will match.

I briefly checked EBAY and THECABE and it looks like a nice replacement rack is going to cost in the neighborhood of $200+,so, with the cost of professional painting added in, this will be an expensive repair.

Back