When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shapleigh Special

-

SindeAnn

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked up this Shapleigh Special a few days ago and am having very little luck finding info about it online. I know it's a hardware store bike and probably not very collectible but I like it. It has already been painted so I don't have a problem with repainting it back to the original color if I can find out what that is. After that, I will string the skirts. Without seeing another pic, I don't know what pattern was used for stringing them. If I don't find the correct pattern,then I will string them something similar to weaving a dreamcatcher. I read that these were Westfield built but other manufacturers built them as well so I don't have a clue who built this one. If Westfield, then I'm thinking it may be a 1937 based on what I can make out on the serial number and if I'm reading the codes right. The first character is half stamped so I don't know if it's a B or a 3 or an 8. I would appreciate any help identifying the manufacturer and year as well as any reference pics or catalog pages for color and skirt pattern. Thanks :)
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
It may be from 1937, with a "D" on the bottom bracket and a "B" serial number prefix.
I believe that my Shapleigh motor bike is a Westfield also.
Not sure where I found these pictures.
Ladies Westfield blue 1-bar 26.jpg
An example, but hard to see the strings and knots; 1-support connector and short head tube look close.
Ladies Westfield blue 22.jpg
Forget what year catalog was from; text does describe a 17" Girls version
Ladies Westfield blue 31.jpg
Earlier Westfield bikes had the 2 short support bars, or maybe that is the 19" Ladies.

Last edited:
Yep, Westfield Built Bike for sure. Shapleigh Hardware was a St. Louis based chain from the late 1800’s to the 1950’s. They sold bikes made by several different manufacturers over the years. This was my 1924 Shapleigh Rugby that until recently spent its whole life here in St. Louis. This one is Mead built.
E390C56E-3C09-477D-8027-7BE86F207B08.jpeg

568409D0-7CAD-4539-8319-628640F21062.jpeg

It may be from 1937, with a "D" on the bottom bracket and a "B" serial number prefix.
I believe that my Shapleigh motor bike is a Westfield also.
Not sure where I found these pictures.
View attachment 944186
An example, but hard to see the strings and knots; 1-support connector and short head tube look close.
View attachment 944187
Forget what year catalog was from; text does describe a 17" Girls version
View attachment 944188
Earlier Westfield bikes had the 2 short support bars, or maybe that is the 19" Ladies.
Thank you for the info. That 1st pic does look like mine and I like the color. I don't have a rear rack or a rear reflector like that one. The skirt lacing looks really simple. I shouldn't have a problem doing that but I'm thinking I might do something a little more elaborate. I also found that same catalog page. I believe it was from 1935. It doesn't show a rear rack so I'm wondering if that was an option. If my bike is supposed to have one, I'm guessing it's not going to be an easy find. Thanks again for the pics. :)

Hi SindeAnn,

As mentioned above, it's a Westfield built frame.

The D9 code means the frame was made in September 1937.

The B prefix shows it was completed in 1937, and the 160007 shows it was late in the year (last number that year was 195407), so it looks like it was completed shortly after the frame was made (not all were).

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back