When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skirt Guard Cording

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hemp looks & works great for single string. Once you start getting into the double & triple tier lacing you need something stronger & smoother or the binding will be a nightmare.

P1010011.jpg

At one time I had skirt cord NOS in boxes - it was thinner than hemp shown above and had a coating- maybe wax? If memory serves- Some cabe has to have a box of this - there were many,many found about 20 years ago.

You can used hard laid cotton seine twine, it's what is used for fancy knot work on boats. You can also get tarred marline, dark brown generally due to the Stockholm (pine) tar it's soaked in. The old style is hemp, newer is synthetic. I may still have some of both types down in the basement with my old woodenboat gear. https://www.google.com/search?q=tar...Xd8KnaAhWk2YMKHVTUBFEQsAQIag&biw=1574&bih=747.

There is also waxed linen thread of various diameters used in sail making, upholstery and saddle work. The linen is really tough and is not waxed you can always die it, stain it, shellac or paint it. Looks great coated in Spar Varnish. I used to do stuff like this for fun. http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-a-close-up-of-a-wooden-tiller-with-intricate-knotwork-on-a-small-boat-22217527.html?pv=1&stamp=2&imageid=6938CD12-0422-4D87-B93D-A3B7A7ADB178&p=69262&n=0&orientation=0&pn=1&searchtype=0&IsFromSearch=1&srch=foo=bar&st=0&pn=1&ps=100&sortby=2&resultview=sortbyPopular&npgs=0&qt=wooden%20tiller&qt_raw=wooden%20tiller&lic=3&mr=0&pr=0&ot=0&creative=&ag=0&hc=0&pc=&blackwhite=&cutout=&tbar=1&et=0x000000000000000000000&vp=0&loc=0&imgt=0&dtfr=&dtto=&size=0xFF&archive=1&groupid=&pseudoid=&a=&cdid=&cdsrt=&name=&qn=&apalib=&apalic=&lightbox=&gname=&gtype=&xstx=0&simid=&saveQry=&editorial=1&nu=&t=&edoptin=&customgeoip=&cap=1&cbstore=1&vd=0&lb=&fi=2&edrf=&ispremium=1&flip=0.

Mike, check out some fishermans netting knots in books like The Ashley Book Of Knots, a classic.

For serious strength and durability check out braided cotton fishing line like this, http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/braided-cotton-fishing-line-0783644p.html.

Go to a fishermans supply/chandler and see what they have, your in the right town for that.;)

image.jpeg
Here's how I got one of my Elgins... I pieced the broken ends temporarily with a poly woven 1.8mm cording until I get around to replacing all the cording. Appears to be one piece! I'm afraid if I start re-looping new cording on the fenders, I may strangle myself!

Back