When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So who prefers to "Preserve the Crust"?

-
Barn Fresh! Monark built Western Flyer Jet. The original paint and patina on this one is Killer! Missing headlight and one pedal, and truss rods will clean up Great!

20170612_131941.jpg

here's a couple crusty ones, my buddy has one of those Repop Columbias (the good one) and an 80's Schwinn with a motor on it, as well as an old Varsity. one day he pops up with this crusty 37 (?) frame and some parts and put this together. he rides this to work almost every day. this inspired me to buy the 1958 frame, fork and headset, then I found the matching wheels and some used repop tires the next day at a car swap meet. dug out some parts I had for 25 years and here we are. this also encouraged me to put my 49 Autocycle back together after 20 years apart (painted not crusty. I have fenders and a rack for my 58 crusty, but they are repaints, the plan is to buy fenders, chain guard and rack that match the paint on the frame eventually. I don't think this one had a tank originally. I've added crusty truss rods since the picture

aCopy of IMG_5025.JPG
aCopy of IMG_5026.JPG

Last edited:
Making an old bike look new has one drawback... It looks new. All the other aspects of restoration are very satisfying, fun, and a great hobby... Sometimes I look at the finished product and think it looks artificial though. It's a tough call.

I do know one thing, I prefer actually riding a crusty... When I ride a shiny I Feel a little like a hambone. Love viewing restorations done nicely.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back