When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

temporary solution to an unpleasant situation...

-

zephyrblau

I live for the CABE
Racycle frame purchased here indicated that the forks were not correct & would not be included. NBD until the frame showed up also absent the headset. (messaging the seller received no reply) several months later I did land a set of OG forks. attempting to assemble the F&F
shows that the head tube is oversize. a search for the correct size headset has, so far, proven futile. my temporary solution is copper plumbing pipe.
P1014067.JPG

P1014068.JPG

P1014069.JPG

P1014070.JPG

I had the same problem with a frame I picked up a while back too. My frame was a bottle cap badge as yours looks as well. Wonder if the head tube was made bigger to accommodate the headbadge retainer?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If everything fits snug, that should be fine. Assembled headset will keep your bushing from moving. Problem solving like this is all part of the fun, especially when working with the early stuff! Good work!

What is the inner diameter of your head tube top and bottom?

I have a clean original Racycle headset from a early pre 1900 model that I’ve been saving for a rainy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the second picture (only) the head tube looks cracked or something (reflections) below the badge.
I had an old bike an found some oversize cups that fit on ebay, (after buying shims first), did not think to measure the O.D. of the head tube though, but I'm sure it would have been a little bit larger than the I.D.

Back