When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Schwinn Lightweight Hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Schwinny

I live for the CABE
This thread has been a bit slow lately. And since I'm just sitting around, I thought I might spark a conversation.
Everyone knows of the phone dial. I see the phone dial hubs on the Paramounts, and occasionally on a Superior or New World racer.
But what about the small flange Dural track hub? What was the standard hub on the Superiors?
Are there any other Schwinn branded hubs offered that are rarely seen?
What about "approved" hubs?
Script, block, no name, makers and the shakers.

Here is a hub I recently got that I was going to build a wheel around but turns out it's a dust collector....

IMG_20231015_080646266~2.jpg

IMG_20231015_080628262~2.jpg

IMG_20231015_080727240~2.jpg

IMG_20231015_080742956~2.jpg

IMG_20231015_080817189.jpg

IMG_20231015_080757054.jpg

4316188E-6DBB-48C4-B737-4DA929159025.jpeg

Notice how the shape of mine is a bit different than the one shown here. Also, the dust covers on mine are steel and integral to the cone where this mentions alum. Dust covers. It doesn't mention it here, but this one I have also has caged bearings.

Last edited:
I know Schwinn stopped making their script front hubs used on middleweights and balloon models sometime in 1962. They were stamped with Approved. Interesting that one has the squared off cup area that I "think" is a later issue style. If Schwinn stopped making all their hubs in 62, I would think that one would also have the Approved stamping.

I know Schwinn stopped making their script front hubs used on middleweights and balloon models sometime in 1962. They were stamped with Approved. Interesting that one has the squared off cup area that I "think" is a later issue style. If Schwinn stopped making all their hubs in 62, I would think that one would also have the Approved stamping.
I cleaned off the axle and it is stamped Schwinn in block letters. Under that "H". Under that 54-C
So I'm guessing March of 54' on this one.
I wonder which model this came on in 54?
Aaaaand still stamped Dural in 54. That's a French term for an Aluminum alloy of course. I've always thought parts stamped with the word Dural were French in origin. Even Schwinn parts.
The bearing cages are stamped Hartford.

Last edited:
I cleaned off the axle and it is stamped Schwinn in block letters. Under that "H". Under that 54-C
So I'm guessing March of 54' on this one.
I wonder which model this came on in 54?
Aaaaand still stamped Dural in 54. That's a French term for Aluminum of course. I've always thought parts stamped with the word Dural were French in origin. Even Schwinn parts.
The bearing cages are stamped Hartford.

With that info, I'd have to say it's off a Continental Clubman. But it seems to be more squared off than actual known pieces. Only other models I can think it may have been used on is the Paramount or Schwinn Super Sports.

clubman-ad-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
-----

"DURAL" is not really french for aluminum

it is short for duralumin, an aluminum alloy with other elements added for strength

-----
Yes, not a French word for aluminum but stamped on many old French parts. Just as hiduminium is on many old English parts.
Both words haven't been on things since the 60s.
Stronger, lighter alloys since then I imagine.
It didn't help this hub much, that's for sure. It has a cracked flange. 18 holes per side didn't help either I guess. They probably could have got by with 16... 🙃

-----

suspect subject hub may have been produced by Etablissements Maillard of Incheville, France

their plant closed in 1991 rendering repair parts for their products a challenge

also a maker of pedals, cogs, brakes (Lam) and gear blocks (Atom, Maillard)

-----

Back