When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Touch up paint chips or leave it alone?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
4E0ED77B-E8ED-4604-868C-66D13BE726FA.jpeg

A817976A-E647-4431-96C7-6EB116FD7B6A.jpeg

1F112C51-FF5A-4C17-84DB-7A1D22AF72C0.jpeg

These are factory touchups. Pretty damn nice matchup.

Most people thickly dab on touch up willy-nilly and then wonder why it looks bad when they are done. Good examples of this above.

I used a very fine liner brush and was careful not to go “outside the lines”.
I also used a very light coat. After it dried the color match was quite good, better than I expected.
I resisted the urge to use another coat because the color might have popped out from the base coat.

After it dried I used a very fine polishing compound to smooth everything out.

I was satisfied with the color match, it didn’t look like a bunch of spots and lines all over the paint.

4 coats of a very special blend of automotive wax/polymer topped it off.

I am very happy with the results. It looks so much better than the trashed finish it started with.

Sure, if you look close enough, you can see where I touched it up. However, even then, it looks more like shallow chipping instead of the all-the-way-to-the-primer gashes it had.

To me, original only goes so far before it turns to “junk”.

All the components were in very good shape, very little rust and oxidization. Not junk.
The paint was junk on this bike. Now it looks pretty good and doesn’t clash with the rest of the bike.

I spent some time cleaning up the factory touchup and I wasn’t whistling while I worked. 🤬. I’ll do the paint touchup when I get this machine set up and ready to go out the door.
BE9BEA68-FFAF-4D21-9AD0-F2BAB6731672.jpeg

31050E8A-3BFE-4D29-876A-F7C5DA9BBF0A.jpeg
6C1556EF-B151-4F58-AF5F-326B4567571C.jpeg

I have a new (to me!) 1969 Schwinn Krate.

Everything is in really good shape except the paint. The chrome is really intact and the components are pretty nice still.
The paint has a lot of chips and scratches in it.

I just degreased it and am going to lightly rub out the paint to get any oxidization off.

I don’t really plan on selling it or anything. I bought it for me, to ride.

However, would touching up the nicks hurt is value terribly?
Do CABEs like the playwear and would rather see it left alone?

Compared to many unrestored Krates I see online, mine is in pretty good shape.
I have a recovered Orange Krate seat coming and an Orange line rear tire, so I am putting some money into it to make it as authentic as possible.

They call rough old cars “50 footers”
They look really good from 50’ away.
However, up close...

My bike is a 10 footer.
The frame anyway.

View attachment 1713078

View attachment 1713079
I built up a 68 Orange Krate Rat bike several years ago that had rough but og paint that I just left as is and rode the wheels off of and sold a few years ago...Was really happy the way it turned out..Great starting point and to each his own... RideOn...

Looks like the primer came off with the top coat as well.. Schwinn used red primer on their dark colors and silver primer on the lighter colors...
That’s incorrect. Schwinn used the red primer on all paint, solid colors and opal radiant colors. The candy paint had a silver base over primer. But Schwinn did experiment with a silver base/primer around 1963 on the flamboyant red color.

That’s incorrect. Schwinn used the red primer on all paint, solid colors and opal radiant colors. The candy paint had a silver base over primer. But Schwinn did experiment with a silver base/primer around 1963 on the flamboyant red color.
That maybe true, but I have several Coppertone frames with silver primer so that's not true either...

That maybe true, but I have several Coppertone frames with silver primer so that's not true either...
Oh yes it is true! The candy colors have an aluminum base coat over the top of the red primer. The Coppertone is considered a candy color and if you look close you’ll see red primer underneath that silver reflective basecoat.

Back