When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Thai and Indian Rickshaws- White Horse and Neelam

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
Zipcode

Coot

Finally riding a big boys bike
White Horse and Neelam Rickshaws

I recently acquired three vintage rickshaws (samlors, pedicabs, etc.) from a gentleman here in Reno. He, in turn, found them in a house is Murphy's, Ca. The story goes that the original Murphy's owner purchased them in Thailand some years back, supposedly in the late 1960's to early 1970's. The gentleman in question had little interest in rickshaws themselves; what he did have was an interest in contraband (and the transport thereof). He was thought to have bought the rickshaws because they came in large crates; large enough to fill with other, uh, stuff, shall we say. Once the rickshaws were safely in the states they were stored away with no thought given to them until they were discovered in 2019. The Indian version had been used in its former country, while the two Thai versions had never been assembled or used.

It's taken my friend Jake and me 40+ hours to research the bikes, sort through all the parts, figure out where they all go and then begin the process of assembling them. I am confident that the Thai versions were unused because many of the original parts had never been appropriately drilled or fitted to the frames. It's taken some real online research to figure out where all the different braces, bars and scrolled pieces go. We are almost finished with Thai #1 and will soon begin on Thai #2, followed by the Neelam from India. I'll be sure to post photos of the bikes as they are completed, but am posting photos initial photos; first, 2 stock photos of Thai versions, then and Indian version, and finally, a few photos of mine from when I was picking them up. I'm happy to share more photos, descriptions, live video or whatever any interested party would like to help determine condition, provenance, etc. ...And of course many photos once each one is completed if they haven't already been purchased by then.

The White Horses (Thai #1 and #2)- $3,000 asking price per unit. Both samlors (the Thai name for rickshaws) are top-of-the line models with full chrome frames, forks, fenders, wheels, handlebars and accoutrements. They are heavily decorated and all ornamental pieces are chrome with extravagantly painted details. If you Google "samlors" you'll see many different models, but none as nicely equipped as these. I'm still at a loss as to their age, but if the rest of the story holds true they are likely in the 44-55 year range. Condition is new, with no visible signs of damage, rust or wear. The only issue I've run across thus far is that the seat cushions have lost their flexibility and have turned solid. I'm currently having Thai #1's cushions re-padded. The goal is to keep the upholstery and just redo the foam padding itself. If this works out I'll proceed with the pads for #2.

Neelam (India)- $1,500 asking price. The India version has seen obvious use and is certainly not as deluxe as the Thai versions. That being said, it's still looks to be complete and functional. Most importantly, it has its seats, canopy and such; all the things that would virtually impossible to find. It employs a rod brake system and any parts that seem to have gone missing have been re-ordered and have arrived. Hopefully it'll be a running unit soon. Even if it isn't it's still a really nice display piece. As for its age, I'm again pretty much at a loss. A wild guess would put this one around the same age as the Thai units.

I've priced all three based on selling prices of similar rickshaws that have shown up over the years. Obviously the White Horses are harder to price because original, unused versions are virtually non-existent. It has been suggested that they could bring upwards of $4,500 to $7,500 if taken to live auction. I'm not pursuing that option for many reasons, a big one being that transportation of three fully assembled rickshaws is no small matter. I'm happy with the asking prices and hope they are well within the range of the current market.

One last note: All three are initially offered on this forum exclusively. Any that don't sell here will eventually be posted on the interweb, but it's my hope that these bikes stay in the collector community, of which I'm a long-time member. Thanks for your time and interest.

Coot Callahan
Buzz Bomb Bicycles
Reno, NV
775 786-2632
buzzbombbicycles.com

Chiang_Mai_samlor-14-XL.jpg

SAM_4399.JPG

00i0i_66kMjJGKH67_1200x900.jpg

Wrapping up the assembly of the first one today or tomorrow. Photos and a rundown of how it rides soon.

Back