When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What can you tell me about what I have here? 1955 Shelby Airflo?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

raleighhobson

On Training Wheels
Got this from a coworker who said it was in the garage attic of her new house. The only thing missing when I got it was the expander bolt for the stem and one grip. Put new ties, tubes, and rim straps on and cleaned it up as best I could. Rides great! Phase II and III of the project will probably include re-greasing the bottom bracket (a little crunchy), wax to preserve the patina, and possibly getting the lights and horn to work again.

I learned that the local bike shop here used to buy them from Shelby and put a head badge on it that had their name and they sold it as an in-house brand called the Fox.

Can anyone confirm that this is a 1955? Any other facts would be much appreciated.

IMG_8834.jpeg

6932E34E-7012-4588-AE15-AE6A508CE751.jpeg

12B4407C-0C27-4807-9FB9-9E5863FA3037.jpeg

Got this from a coworker who said it was in the garage attic of her new house. The only thing missing when I got it was the expander bolt for the stem and one grip. Put new ties, tubes, and rim straps on and cleaned it up as best I could. Rides great! Phase II and III of the project will probably include re-greasing the bottom bracket (a little crunchy), wax to preserve the patina, and possibly getting the lights and horn to work again.

I learned that the local bike shop here used to buy them from Shelby and put a head badge on it that had their name and they sold it as an in-house brand called the Fox.

Can anyone confirm that this is a 1955? Any other facts would be much appreciated.

View attachment 2034495

View attachment 2034496

View attachment 2034497
Would love to know approximate value as well. Thanks all!

Looks like a Model 53A. There should be a metal tag underneath the bottom bracket. Post a pic of that.

Looks like a Model 53A. There should be a metal tag underneath the bottom bracket. Post a pic of that.
Shelby was bought by AMF in 1953 and moved to Cleveland so you may have a CWC style serial number depending on the exact year it was built. With the rear fork I'd guess it's earlier than 1955. Either way like @Freqman1 said, look under the bottom bracket.

Found this on Vintage American Bicycles website: Sometime in 1949 Shelby started using a serial number tag on their bikes much like the post war Monark tags. The tags start off with “NO.” followed by two numbers which is the year. In 1953 Gambles bought Shelby and a few months later sold the name to AMF who had also bought Cleveland Welding Co. Shelby bikes from the AMF period 1953/4-1956 will have a CWC serial number. After 1956 it depends on who made the bike as there were several manufacturers.

Last edited:
Back