When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a Schwinn 5200A fender?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
There is only one member here that I know of that has extensive experience with the cycle trucks and maybe he can shed some light on this fender issue along with the frame change after 1959. it would be great to see if @REC can add any helpful information.

I'm really surprised at the measurement between the stays on your CT. There was definitely a frame change after 1959 using your Wasp frame to compare. When and if you/we find out what the A stands for, you're still up against the odds of finding the right fender. From the catalog specs that I have access to, the only bikes that used that 5200A fender is the CT and Wasp and during a certain time period of possibly 1960 and later. Having all the critical dimensions will be the only for sure way you'll find the correct fender since most sellers have no clue of what they are selling. Here's an eBay example of what might or might not be a later Wasp fender. The seller basically indicates it's for every balloon bike Schwinn made.

Excellent input! Thank you!

I dont know if this helps much but in 1959 both the Wasp and Cycle Truck used the standard 5200 rear fender as u can see from the dealer catalog images. The 1960, 1961, 1962 and 1963 dealer catalogs dont give part numbers for each model. I was however able to get the 1964 dealer catalog info sheet for the wasp and the fender is the 5200-A for both regular Wasp and Heavy Duty Wasp. Since the 5200-A was not used in 1959 we can assume 1960 could have been 1st year they used the 5200-A. Well by 1960 there were only two Heavyweight/Ballon bikes that were still made by Schwinn, the Cycle Truck and the Wasp. The Wasp was dropped after 1964 leaving only Cycle Truck untill 1967. So it looks like your only options for fender are either off 1960-1967Cycle Truck or 1960-1964Wasp. I HAVE A 1961 Wasp with a fenders but i have no idea if the wasp had the 5200-A fender in 1961.

View attachment 1841561

View attachment 1841562

View attachment 1841563

View attachment 1841564
Ok, this is great information! Can you measure the outside to outside width of the rear fender on your 1961 Wasp? Perhaps also measure the frame where the fender is attached? We are now very close to figuring out when the change took place if you can take those measurements. These are the picture examples of my 1959 Wasp frame and fender widths. Also included is the red 64CT frame width. Thank you again...

59waspframewidth.jpg

59waspfenderwidth.jpg

59waspdimplewidth.jpg

64CTframewith.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, this is great information! Can you measure the outside to outside width of the rear fender on your 1961 Wasp? Perhaps also measure the frame where the fender is attached? These are the picture examples of my 1959 Wasp frame and fender widths. Also included is the 64CT frame width.

View attachment 1841613

View attachment 1841615

View attachment 1841616

View attachment 1841617

Yes, ill measure right now! Give me a few minutes to remove rear fender off bike so i can send pics of the measurements without anything in the way

There is only one member here that I know of that has extensive experience with the cycle trucks and maybe he can shed some light on this fender issue along with the frame change after 1959. it would be great to see if @REC can add any helpful information.
I agree, this would be helpful to all trying to restore these era bikes.

Heres the fender! Just thought id mention that my wasp is stamped Aug 31st 1961 but it original paint job is that of a 1962 model Wasp. Dont know if that will make diffrence just thought id mention.

View attachment 1841630

View attachment 1841631

View attachment 1841632
Thank you! So, what you have demonstrated, is a production change in the width of a fender only found on Cycle trucks and Wasps happening as early as August 1961 to the end of CT production 1967. I truly appreciate your time and efforts. This has really narrowed the search for a fender and provided valuable information. Thank you, again.

Heres the fender! Just thought id mention that my wasp is stamped Aug 31st 1961 but it original paint job is that of a 1962 model Wasp. Dont know if that will make diffrence just thought id mention.

View attachment 1841630

View attachment 1841631

View attachment 1841632
Your picture not only shows a slightly narrowed fender, it also shows a painted tip. This tells me the "A" subset found in 5200A fender listing does not indicate a non-painted tip, but could indicate a narrowed rear fender...

Back