When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the heck is a 60s Indian Princess

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks everyone

I got a email today from a guy that wants to sale me a vintage bicycle. First of all I'm happy that the word is getting out that I'm looking for vintage bicycles and parts. But like I already said I got a email today from a guy wanting to sale a 1960's Indian Princess. WTF? I've never even heard of them and I'm having a hard time finding any information on them. So I was wondering if anyone out there know's anything about this bike. He says "The seat cover is gone but the original Phillips seat frame is all there. It has the speedometer and light as well"

He's asking $250, seems like a lot to me what but what do I know?

You all gave me some great answers and I too thought that the $250 asking price was way over what it was worth. But it the first time I've ever hear of them so I wanted to asked people who would know.

Thanks

You all gave me some great answers and I too thought that the $250 asking price was way over what it was worth. But it the first time I've ever hear of them so I wanted to asked people who would know.

Thanks

You can go to Sheldon Brown's site and read a lot of info on Raleigh Industries bikes. You can google for more, using "Raleigh" in your search. They made probably a dozen different brands of bikes. Most differ in just the headbadge and decals. I currently have 5 (was 7) different RI bikes, with three from that era. I'm no expert, but, have picked up a bit of info, in the ~4 years I've been messing with them.

I dont believe the Princess is a 60's model because from what I learned is that the Indian motorcycle company went bankrupt in 1953. And I guess it would be possible that Phillips kept building the Indian bicycles, but not likely in my mind.

Indian did go bankrupt in 1953 but the BCC(British Cycle Corpt.) bought them.And yes they did keep on making and selling Scouts and Princess bicycles--(also Rangers as in Mead Ranger another name they owned)

The Indian name really did get very complateded in the 1970s with the selling of a MoPed under that name and then a compamy starting to build the Modern Indian Chief--it went under--but was picked up by investers and it took a team of lawers and finally a trip to England to get the rights to the Indian name.The Indian story is kinda interesting.

Indian did go bankrupt in 1953 but the BCC(British Cycle Corpt.) bought them.And yes they did keep on making and selling Scouts and Princess bicycles--(also Rangers as in Mead Ranger another name they owned).

I have a '63 Phillips Ranger. The interesting thing is that it has a headbadge that I've never seen elsewhere. I bought it from the original owner.

I have a frame(with badge) for a phillips Ranger.
Maybe not a high value bicycle but a bit uncommon.If in good shape ,a keeper for sure.

yup they are out there

I got a email today from a guy that wants to sale me a vintage bicycle. First of all I'm happy that the word is getting out that I'm looking for vintage bicycles and parts. But like I already said I got a email today from a guy wanting to sale a 1960's Indian Princess. WTF? I've never even heard of them and I'm having a hard time finding any information on them. So I was wondering if anyone out there know's anything about this bike. He says "The seat cover is gone but the original Phillips seat frame is all there. It has the speedometer and light as well"

He's asking $250, seems like a lot to me what but what do I know?

I have seen three of them. only the women's version. it depends on weather you want to sell it or not but it could be worth $30 in parts for raleigh type bikes or hawthornes (nottingham vs birmingham) or $150 to a college kid wanting a trusty reliable ride if made to run well. honestly the only thing that gives it value is the rarity of the badge and if I remember correctly I saw one sell for $50. definatly post american indian and looks to be past the norton ownership of indian also but the name has changed hands countless times and continents almost as much.

be nice and try not to insult the seller, sometimes people hear a name and insist that because it's rare it's valuable.
exe: geometro cars are rare not because they were limited production but because there arn't many running today
(althought if any one has a running one I am interested)

The Indian Motorcycle Company went out of business in 1953. Period. None of this other stuff - Italian motorcycles, Floyd Clymer English Imports and other attempts by US companies to revive Indian after 1953 is in any way related to the original Indian Motorcycle Company.
Those Indian bicycles were imported from England by Indian and were probably sold by motorcycle dealers until 1954-55 as there were a lot in dealers inventory.
Here is one of mine, a 1950 model with a 1950 Cycle Master Motor Wheel.
IndianCyclemaster-1.jpg

Last edited:
The Indian Motorcycle Company went out of business in 1953. Period. None of this other stuff - Italian motorcycles, Floyd Clymer English Imports and other attempts by US companies to revive Indian after 1953 is in any way related to the original Indian Motorcycle Company.
Those Indian bicycles were imported from England by Indian and were probably sold by motorcycle dealers until 1954-55 as there were a lot in dealers inventory.
Here is one of mine, a 1950 model with a 1950 Cycle Master Motor Wheel.
IndianCyclemaster-1.jpg
so... what about the Davis made, and Columbia made and Huffman made Indian bikes? what of the super desirable German made Indians? they really don't have much in common with the motorcycles. some of these companies changed ownership and hands so many times it was hard to keep track of.

I was refering to the most recent motorcycles that claim to be Indians. All those bicycles were made during the time that Indian was in operation so they do have a connection.

Back