When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheels for Columbia Twosome?

-

MuddyOne

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello! I'm in the process of building my wife a tandem beach cruiser using an early 70s Columbia twosome. This bike will only be ridden on flat ground, and will only ever see slightly faster than walking speeds.

Ive got it stripped down to the frame, and its currently getting powder coated. Ive done a ton of reading and research, but im stuck on the wheels and drive line.

The original 26" wheels are heavily corroded, and need to be replaced. I want to keep it single speed, with a coaster brake, but have no idea what to look for as far as wheels that will fit. Any help, advice, or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe a donor bike from CL, FB marketplace, or even Goodwill. I look all the time. Good luck, and post pics.

Maybe a donor bike from CL, FB marketplace, or even Goodwill. I look all the time. Good luck, and post pics.
I guess this helps narrow my question. Am I limited to original parts? Or is there new stock that would work?

I found a new cruiser built in China for $30.00 on CL a few years ago. It's a perfect donor bike, the bars are good, rims and tires match, soft, cuddly seat...

Current tires are 26 x 1.75, id like to go to 26 x 2.125 which from what I understand are the widest tire this bike will accept.
so you'll be looking for a wheel set with a 559 bead diameter, which is common.
most cruiser and many mountain bikes use this size.
lots of "off the shelf" options out there.

so you'll be looking for a wheel set with a 559 bead diameter, which is common.
most cruiser and many mountain bikes use this size.
lots of "off the shelf" options out there.
This is a super newbie question.

Will the new wheel set come with the rear sprocket and coaster brake installed?

Back