When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who manufactured this Elgin?

-

dougfisk

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Who manufactured this Elgin? The fork looks a lot like a Shelby, yet subtly different?

KGrHqVHJCkFILEuDrBSFiUe5Orw60_57JPG-1.jpg

KGrHqVHJCEFIM9yzQkmBSFiUmt4g60_57JPG-1.jpg

Last edited:
that's no Elgin.... now watch as RMS37 quickly responds and slams me for my incorrect statement and correctly identify's your bicycle.....

Hey Bri, I was coming out of the bottle anyway… you didn’t need to give yourself a rug burn rubbing so hard!

This very bike is shown as the Elgin Swallow in the Spring/Summer 1935 Sear catalog. The frame is the standard lady’s model produced by H.P. Snyder at that time but in the catalog it is shown with the more typical, Snyder style, multi-plate crowned fork. Other Snyder bicycles have turned up in the hobby with a single forged plate crown that does look similar (at the least) to the forks used on many Shelby products. I’ve never had the two together, next to each other, to compare so the final call is yet to be made on how similar these are, and if they are identical, what it means.

Tangentially, both the girls and boy’s Moto-Ballons in that catalog appear to be illustration of Snyder built bikes and a number of Snyder built Elgin Moto-Balloons have surfaced. It is likely that Westfield and Snyder were both supplying Sears with Moto-balloons at that time and for whatever reason, the Snyders were the ones that made it into the catalog illustrations for S/S-35.

It is also known that at least two other manufacturers produced Moto-Balloons for Sears. Emblem Mfg., and the manufacturer of yesterdays dearly departed; the best surviving (well, until yesterday) example of the three of that specific type I have seen/recorded to date.

Back