When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 Women’s Bicycle Help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Great score, I've been scouring socal locally but no luck - that one is a gem! Love the fact some kid stenciled an Etnies skateboard logo on the seat!

Only one thing that comes to mind for SSQ in relation to a womens bike: RAF Station Sick Quarters, could be a nurse bike?

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation, Bill; @HUFFMANBILL

Out of interest, do they too have the curved 'Roman' rear endplates? That style is rarely seen, and I'm wondering if it's an M306 female pedal thing?

Photo Credit: Blackcat (Serge)
20190420_165700-jpg.jpg

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi Mercian,

No the Roman style pedal rear endplates are not just a M306 women's model thing. Not only are they original to my M306 MG154703 they are also original to my 1942 Columbia Men's model MG100330 as well as my 1943 Huffman H127317 .
Regards,
Bill

Hi Adrian,
It is interesting to note that these roman style endplate torrington 8 pedals seem to have for the most part wooden pedal blocks dating between approximately the second half of 1942 and 1944. At least that is what I have noticed over the last several years.

Regards,
Bill

Hi Bill @HUFFMANBILL

I appreciate the further insight. It seems very few of these survived, and many bikes have replacement pedals.

As a follow up. The one pedal of this type I do have is in blackout, with the wooden blocks (the military pattern type) as well as the steel painted bla

From your observations, are the wooden blocks on the military bikes painted originally?

Since this one is black, I presume civilian origin, though they don't seem to turn up on civilian bikes either.

Bet Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,
Most if not all of my WWII civilian bikes were early to mid 1942 production when rubber was still the main type of pedal blocks used. Of course there would have been a transition period as you got into mid to late 1942 when you may find rubber and/or wooden blocks and then just wood into 1943 and much of 1944 for the most part. As you are aware the military models also followed a similar time frame in regards to rubber and wooden pedal use. As far as whether the military bike wooden pedal blocks were painted from the factory originally, I cannot say for certain. I have seen non-painted wooden blocks that were supposedly original and I have seen painted wooden blocks. I suspect that most of the wooden blocks came from the factory unpainted however, since these bikes were produced by two different companies ( Westfield and Huffman ) over approximately a three year period it would be possible, in my estimation, that some of these were painted prior to shipment to the military. It was over a long period during a very volatile time to say for certain that all wooden military bike pedal blocks were originally painted or not. The only all black bike pedals with black painted wood blocks that I remember seeing, and I have a pair, are the Torrington 18 pedals. If memory serves me right they came in two versions black without pedal blocks ( rat trap ) and with the wood blocks. If the model number is missing on these pedals, like so many are, they can easily be mistaken for Torrington 8's. The set that I have have the standard gothic pointed style front and rear endplates. I hope this helps.

Regards,
Bill

Back