When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII Schwinn New World VW1M with Factory Options

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Is it just me or does anybody else see E14584? It COULD be an "I", but it looks like a poorly stamped "E" to me. And what's the decal on the seat post between the "Hat in the Ring" and the "Schwinn Quality" decals? Killer bike in any case!

I see an E. Hand stampings are usually a mess!

E doesn’t make sense for a wartime bike...

Agreed hand stamps are a mess. Only Huffmanbill can get a better look someday and maybe say for sure.

Check it out right side up. Definitely an E looking F'd up stamping. But we've been down this road once before, right? lol

1586755636381.png

I realize this is an old thread, but I have a question as to the headsets used on the 1942 New World bikes. What is the normal gap between the knurled cone and the cup? I am working on a 1942 New World project, and the headset looks original. When tightened down the fork turns smoothly and there's no play in the fork. However, I'm left with a larger than expected gap in the headset. I pulled it all apart and greased it, and I noticed that the bearing sets for the top and bottom are the same. I wish I had measured the head set on the last war era New World I had, but I didn't. Does this look right?

20220802_203705.jpg

I don't know if this helps but this was in my archive. Wartime NW with same headset setup. I don't have better pics of it (found online).

1940s-wartime-schwinn-ga-beard_1_85dd57e7a5dab9ed240d5c7d2adde903.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 2.14.20 PM.png

I think you have a different, earlier headset there. That is a plated one where the knurled portion overlaps. The one I have is apparently a simpler version where the knurled ring is the cone and doesn't overlap.
You’re correct. They are different. The ones before were different than the wartime ones. They were specific to that time period. My 39 and 41 were different than the wartime.

Back